Cluster group and Exchange backend servers not monitored. RRS feed

• Question

• hav exchange 2003 cluster with 3 clustred resources. 1 quorum 2- mstdc 3- exchange mailboxes. The quorum & msdtc resources are in a not monitored state. The exchange mailbox is monitored. However, my two backend exchange servers are monitored for the os part. Yet the exchange portion they are not monitored. Also, the discover for the roles does not detect the two servers just the front end servers. The proxy agent is enabled on all 4 also.

Saturday, May 7, 2011 9:05 PM

Answers

• Hi Nostar, did my answer actually already answer your question? So... windows OS is monitored only on the physical host. Exchange is monitored only on the cluster resource. That is why the host has no exchange and the cluster resource has no OS.
    Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My BICTT Blog)
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, May 16, 2011 6:15 AM
    Monday, May 9, 2011 6:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Nostar. So this is actually a few different steps to check for.

First understand that on a cluster you will find the operating system in the physical machines and not on any of the (virtual) cluster resources. And on the other hand you will find out that you have installed exchange on the virtual cluster resource node and not on the physical machines. So you will see the hosts monitoring the OS and the virtual cluster node to monitor the exchange. This is expected. And of course discovery of roles is also on the level where they are located. The exchange roles would be on the virtual nodes and not the physical. In many cases there is not much to monitor at the quorum and msdtc resources. There is a DTC management pack available, however I think thats still the old converted MP.

So you might find that you are already succesfully monitoring your Exchange services.

Sunday, May 8, 2011 9:27 AM
  • do you have the Microsoft Cluster MP or failover cluster service MP for your version of windows loaded?

Scott Moss MVP (Operations Manager) | President - System Center Virtual Users Group | Vice President - Atlanta Southeast Management Users Group (ATL SMUG) Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you!
    Monday, May 9, 2011 3:03 PM
  • Yep have version Version 6.0.6720.0.
    Monday, May 9, 2011 6:34 PM
  • Hi Nostar, did my answer actually already answer your question? So... windows OS is monitored only on the physical host. Exchange is monitored only on the cluster resource. That is why the host has no exchange and the cluster resource has no OS.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, May 16, 2011 6:15 AM
    Monday, May 9, 2011 6:37 PM