WSUS server database change RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Friends,

How to change my windows internal database to SQL server database. i am trying to connect windows database through sql command but its not connecting.

\\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query

Please help me...

Regards,

Magesh Selvam,

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 7:43 AM

Answers

• Which version of WindowsServer OS do you have?

to connect to an instance of Windows Internal Database, use:
    \\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query (WS2003-2008R2)
    or
    \\.\pipe\MICROSOFT##WID\tsql\query (WS2012-2012R2) as instance name. But this will only work locally, as Remote Connections cannot be enabled for this edition of SQL Server. Also note that "Windows Authentication" should be used (as opposed to SQL Server Authentication),

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 8:44 AM

All replies

• Which version of WindowsServer OS do you have?

to connect to an instance of Windows Internal Database, use:
    \\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query (WS2003-2008R2)
    or
    \\.\pipe\MICROSOFT##WID\tsql\query (WS2012-2012R2) as instance name. But this will only work locally, as Remote Connections cannot be enabled for this edition of SQL Server. Also note that "Windows Authentication" should be used (as opposed to SQL Server Authentication),

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 8:44 AM
  • Hi Dear,

How are you? after long timei need another help for wsus how to update workgroup system to wsus server

Regards,

Magesh selvam

Thursday, March 31, 2016 7:42 AM
  • for wsus how to update workgroup system to wsus server

Do you mean: you have some non-domain (workgroup) computers, and you wish to configure those computers to be clients of your WSUS server?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939844(v=ws.10).aspx

You can use Local Group Policy, or registry editing methods, or scripts, or various tools to deploy the desired registry settings.

Or do I misunderstand your question? :)

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Thursday, March 31, 2016 9:58 AM
  • Here is an example of a utility/tool which may be helpful:

https://wsusworkgroup.codeplex.com/

(I have not used this utility myself, but it looks very well done :)

EDIT: here is another method which is also useful to know:

https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/2267-deploy-wsus-to-clients-without-ad-domain-gp-using-the-registry

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

• Edited by DonPick Thursday, March 31, 2016 10:06 AM
    Thursday, March 31, 2016 10:04 AM