Fast Browser Search In IE 8 / 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone!

Someone in my family downloaded a facebook app, which istalled a search toolbar onto my laptop. Without paying too much attention to it, I deleted it. I've noticed since the installation of the toolbar that everytime I opened a new tab, I'd get a "search box" which would direct anything typed to "Fast Browser Search". I've tried searching all over the internet for a solution and have even tried disabling the add-on. It didn't work. So I thought maybe if I removed IE8, it might make the problem go away, but still it's there, haunting every time I open a new tab.

Any help as to get rid of this junk would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!
    Monday, June 29, 2009 11:03 PM

Answers

• To fix the new tab issue you need to be comfortable using regedit.  Run regedit and navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AboutURLs

under Tabs, clear the fastwebsearch junk and input the following as value data:

res://ieframe.dll/tabswelcome.htm

close and restart IE. 
    • Proposed as answer by EDG TimeQFX Tuesday, July 14, 2009 12:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by humanhowever Tuesday, July 14, 2009 10:16 AM
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 12:01 AM
  • Hello Devil,

To uninstall the Fast Browser Search toolbar, Start Internet Explorer, click the down arrow on the Settings button in your toolbar (next to the search box), select Help, and then select Uninstall.

This will take you to the Fast Browser Search uninstall page. Click the button on the bottom of the page labeled Uninstall Toolbar to uninstall the Fast Browser Search toolbar.

If the above method doesn't work, please continue with the following steps.

1. Click Start -> Control Panel.

2. Double-click Programs and Features icon.

3. Right-click the Fast Browser search protection in the list and select Uninstall.

4. Restart your computer.

5. Now go back to Control Panel and uninstall Fast Browser Search (MyTattoo)

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, July 3, 2009 9:42 AM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:55 AM

All replies

• Hello Devil,

To uninstall the Fast Browser Search toolbar, Start Internet Explorer, click the down arrow on the Settings button in your toolbar (next to the search box), select Help, and then select Uninstall.

This will take you to the Fast Browser Search uninstall page. Click the button on the bottom of the page labeled Uninstall Toolbar to uninstall the Fast Browser Search toolbar.

1. Click Start -> Control Panel.

3. Right-click the Fast Browser search protection in the list and select Uninstall.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, July 3, 2009 9:42 AM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:55 AM
  • Hello Andy!
    Thank you for replying to my query.

I've tried all the things you have mentioned but the problem is still there.
    Every time I open a new tab, I am directed to this page:
    http://www.fastbrowsersearch.com/new-tab/?v=18&tid={D520FFC9-2894-4659-8E2F-17A81E70ABDA}

I have unistalled all the related programs using control panel, and disabled / removed the add-ons, but I still keep getting the new tab problem.

Is this a lost cause or is there a solution to this?

Thanks 
    Friday, July 3, 2009 10:00 AM
  • Hi devil in red,

please follow carefully all the directions in this post: How to get rid of malware

Hope this helps,
    Vincenzo Di Russo - Microsoft MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security - Since 2003. ~~~ My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 4:41 AM

• To fix the new tab issue you need to be comfortable using regedit.  Run regedit and navigate to the following key:

close and restart IE. 
    • Proposed as answer by EDG TimeQFX Tuesday, July 14, 2009 12:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by humanhowever Tuesday, July 14, 2009 10:16 AM
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 12:01 AM
  • Thank you for the help.

I upgraded my windows to 7 RC, and so the problem went away. But I very much appreciate you taking out the time to help.

thanks. 
    =]
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 10:16 AM
  • Brilliant!
    Many thanks for sorting out such an irritating problem!
    Friday, August 28, 2009 9:00 AM
  • That regedit solution worked for me.
    Friday, August 28, 2009 9:01 AM

close and restart IE. 

TimeQFX, Thanks a lot and it's now working perfectly. Really appreciated your help and time.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 4:02 AM

close and restart IE. 

Yes -YES!

That did it, those ROTTEN STINKING %^%$!

So, after using every malware removal method I could think of, for three weeks, all I had to do was do that... Tricky, because it was a Registry hack, making a NEW TAB open a window on a remote site instead of the res://ieframe.dll/tabswelcome.htm page like it was supposed to.

I had noted than my new brower window was MISSING all the stuff in there I liked in IE8 - I knew there was somthing going on, but I could never find it... Until NOW.

Many Thanx

Saturday, September 5, 2009 6:15 AM
  • Wow TimeQFX , you solved me big wierd issue . I was trying to slove this for a week now. I did follow your suggestions removing from regedit and works as expected.

Thank you so much...

~Ravi.
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 3:23 PM
  • TimeQFX ,

I am not able to remove "Fast Browser Search (MyTattoo)" from Add Remove Programs. You did help us to resolve Tab issue. If you have any solution to  uninstall "Fast Browser Search (MyTattoo)" from Add Remove Programs , please help us. Remeber i have no issues with Tab now but still see "Fast Browser Search (MyTattoo)" in list. Clicking Remove button doesnt help. I think it just refresh the window and nothing happens.

I did remove Fast Browser Search folder from C:/Program files, but no luck ;-(

Thanks,
    ~Ravi.
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 3:30 PM
  • Ah. I thought this had worked. But it only works for a session. When I restart my laptop or turn it off and turn it on again the TABS entry in the Registry has got the old entry http://www.fastbrowsersearch.com/new-tab/?v=4&tid={91C935A1-C4D2-416a-AD5A-5F5E22DF80DB} back in it again.
    How is it re-setting itself?
    Can you help?
    Monday, September 21, 2009 2:57 PM
  • Thanx 4 the tip. Finally got rid of that ____
    Friday, October 16, 2009 4:46 PM
  • Paul I think I have an idea what you can do to end this.
    Try clicking on Tools in the internet explorer, then Internet Options, then in the General Section there is another sub-section called "tabs". There where ita says "change how webistes are displayed in tabs" click on the button Settings. In the middle of the next box that opens there is a bar saying "when a new tab is openned, open:"
    When you click there you will see that you have three choices (at least I do). 1. a blank page, 2. the new tab page, 3. your first home page.
    Pick any one of these, then click OK and OK again, and hopefully you will see the difference. Try all three options since I believe any of these can fix your problem!
    Even though I honestly have no clue when it comes to pc, I really hope what I suggested helps you solve this prob.

PS. I think it would also work if first you would click on Tools and then Manage add-ons, and then unintall the fast browser search add-on from there as well before doing anything else. That is what I did when I faced a similar problem in Firefox with this add-on and now, after doing the Tools - Internet Options - Tabs Settings thing, it works as before without sending me to that website everytime i would open a tab.

Oh and make sure that your homepage (Tools, Internet Options, General) is something other than the fastbrowser.....one. Just put the hotmail or the facebook website or sth.

Good luck!
    • Proposed as answer by alexula Saturday, December 12, 2009 4:14 AM
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 12:59 AM
  • Your advice worked. Many thanks. It also works when I restart the laptop because for some reason when I made the change using the registry it would be overwritten when I rebooted. I now feel I have my laptop back!
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 6:12 AM
  • fantastic my friend I have been trying to sort this out for days
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 8:10 PM
  • HELP!!!  I went to my reg edit & there is no fast web ____, but the tabs still come up as fast browser search...I have tried to remove mytatoo form the pc to no avail, I have even gone in and deleted the BHO for fastbrowser search, & killed all traces of it in my regedit.

IM about to FDisk my pc--which I dont want to do, where is this dang thing hiding???
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 4:11 AM
  • try this from alexula it has worked for most people

Try clicking on Tools in the internet explorer, then Internet Options, then in the General Section there is another sub-section called "tabs". There where ita says "change how webistes are displayed in tabs" click on the button Settings. In the middle of the next box that opens there is a bar saying "when a new tab is openned, open:"
    When you click there you will see that you have three choices (at least I do). 1. a blank page, 2. the new tab page, 3. your first home page.
    Pick any one of these, then click OK and OK again, and hopefully you will see the difference. Try all three options since I believe any of these can fix your problem!
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 12:39 PM
  • Awesome! thanks.
    • Proposed as answer by Truxicon Monday, November 23, 2009 7:54 AM
    Monday, November 23, 2009 4:52 AM
  • Try the below:

MadRaven
    Level 1
    11/20/09
    This worked for me. http://www.cadrinsolutions.com.au/downloads/download.php?file=152NoFBS.exe

Worked on Windows 7 - as well as XP.

Good luck!

PS. I don't think there's a Mac version out yet.
    • Proposed as answer by Truxicon Monday, November 23, 2009 7:56 AM
    Monday, November 23, 2009 7:55 AM
  • Phew! Got rid of this. Thanks very much.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 8:43 AM
  • That worked, thanks very much.
    Monday, November 30, 2009 8:00 PM
  • Hi to all, 

I have the same problem just that I couldn't find a solution yet... I have tried EVERYTHING suggested here and unfortunately the problem still exists... 
    When I open a new tab, this appears: http://tab.fastbrowsersearch.com//?v=0&tid=0000000000000000000

Do you have any other suggestion? 

I would appreciate  it very much. I am getting tired of this tab!!!!

Thanks in advance!

Saturday, December 5, 2009 9:38 PM
  • Hello Devil ,

To uninstall the Fast Browser Search toolbar, Start Internet Explorer, click the down arrow on the Settings button in your toolbar (next to the search box), select Help , and then select Uninstall .

1. Click Start -> Control Panel .

3. Right-click the Fast Browser search protection in the list and select Uninstall .

Good Luck!

Andy

To uninstall the fast browser search in firefox .Go to programfiles\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins and delete the ____ you dont need
    Monday, December 7, 2009 6:56 PM
  • Don't waste your time with all the uninstall instructions - none of these worked for me as it was in the registry even after uninstalling.  Follow TimeQFX's recommendation - it works.  Many thanks!!!
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 2:55 AM
  • OK - the plot thickens.  As recently posted, the registry update succeeded with stopping the fastwebsearch, but upon restarting my computer this is now back in the registry!!!!!!!!  Any ideas for additional steps that would be required to get this junk off the PC once and for all?!
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 6:22 AM
  • OK - the plot thickens.  As recently posted, the registry update succeeded with stopping the fastwebsearch, but upon restarting my computer this is now back in the registry!!!!!!!!  Any ideas for additional steps that would be required to get this junk off the PC once and for all?!
    Please follow carefully all the directions in this post: How to get rid of malware

Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security - Since 2003.
    My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 6:27 AM
  • Thank you!
    This is quite useful, this matter can be settled thoroughly.

Saturday, December 12, 2009 12:38 AM
  • Great TimeQFX, this seems to have worked.
    However I would like to completely rid my system of this cancer and there are still two tumours remaining that I can see.

1) Under C:\Program Files\
    a folder named C:\Program Files\SGPSA was added.
    It contained 4 files, two of which I managed to delete (SearchAssistant.dll and mtwb3sh.dll)
    However two files remain that even as administrator I cannot delete (BHO.dll and ie3sh.dll)
    It keeps saying I need permission to delete. I'm the administrator, I have permission. This app is holding on like a limpit!

2) Under Manage Add Ons in IE8 I see;
    * "(Not Verified) MTWB - Search Assistant" is disabled. How do I actually get rid of it? The associated file is BHO.dll mentioned above.
    * "Control Name is not available - Browser Helper Class" is disabled. How do I actually get rid of it? The associated file is SearchAssistant.dll mentioned above.

Thanks
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 3:32 AM
  • Enuenu,
    although i do not remember facing exactly the same problem as you I think
    what i'll say may help you.
    Some of the add-ons (i don't know about the particular ones) can be deleted/uninstalled by doing the following:
    Control panel >> programs and features >> find the one u want to uninstall (it would be easier to write the name in the search box above to same some time and see if that particular add-on actually exists there or not) >> if u can find it there, select it once >> then (either from the row  at the top of the page or by right clicking on the add-on) u will get to choose if u want to uninstall or change it. 

I really hope this was helpful, athough i am not at all sure whether it is applicable in all brands/kinds of computers.

Good luck
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 4:13 AM
  • Thanks alexula,
    I did use control panel to uninstall initially. This did not work at all. I then used TimeQFX's solution, which worked. However remnants of the program remain, both in the form of files that cannot be deleted and references to it in the add on manager in IE (as described in my initial post). Something tells me it would be preferable to completely remove any trace of this malware. I find it weird how I as administrator I cannot remove two files that form part of this program.  
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 11:00 PM

• Hi TimeQFX, thanks a lot for your answer, it did the trick!.

Something that someone of us must keep in mind is that, if you have a x64 system, like mine, the registry key could be:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node \Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AboutURLs

The rest of the post is 100% correct.

Thx again for your help.

Diego A.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 3:35 PM

close and restart IE. 

Ive done this but when I restart and open the new tab IE shuts down.  Im running windows vista home premium if that makes a difference.  I ended up putting in www.msn.com and when I open a new tab it just says the webpage cannot be found, but thats better than the fast browser crud.  What needs to go in to make it work right?
    Friday, December 18, 2009 6:42 PM
  • Mr.TimeQFX,

Your answer works perfectly well. i couldnot find any entry in the add and remove in the control pannel or even in the IE also about this fastbrowser!!!

when did the regedit , it sits there !!!

thanks a lot !!!!
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 3:32 AM
  • I can't find the Fast Search Toolbar in my Control Panel, nor My Tatto, however, I keep getting and IE8 message telling me to address a problem with Fast Search Toolbar.  I get 2 dialog boxes everytime I open my computer.  Any suggestions. 
    Thanks,
    Rita
    Monday, January 4, 2010 5:56 PM
  • Well I think this is a very easy fix.....well it was for me......I did uninstall search guard and all relative software except that I could'nt remove fast browser from add remove...so I decided to switch my default search provider back to default by going to control panel>Internet options>Advanced Tab> Then clicked Reset> Voila no more Fast Browser Search.....there are remnants that I will manually remove.....hope this helps
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:56 PM
  • I looked at that registry entry, found it, but how do I input the new info?  As a key...?  There's quite a few options if I right click on the fast browser stuff...or am I doing it wrong?  I'm not that comfortable mucking around in the registry and would appreciate detailed instructions on how to enter that new value.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Friday, February 26, 2010 3:33 PM
  • The next question is this: Once you remove the offending key from the registry,, how do you get back the original blank tab page with the last pages opened on it? Nowwhen I open a new Tab it says "Navigation to the webpage was canceled". When I go into the Tools-Internet Options-Tabs Settings, and select "The new tabs page" I get this. I can change it to the Homepage, but that's not what I want. Can I get "the new tabs page" back?
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 11:52 AM
  • HELP!

Time is running out for me - I don't know how to solve the following.  Im not working and have no funds for a tech.

I have followed the microsoft instructions and uninstalled all of I.E.8 except one part that is still in the control panel and does not show a button to remove it.  I have installed the latest service pack 3 and the security updates.  Everytime I try to install Internet Explorer 7 (school elearning requires I.E.7) I get the message - "setup cannot continue because a more recent version of Internet Explorer has been detected on this computer".  I click the ok button and the window closes.  Basically, nothing has changes.  1.  How can I get rid of this Internet Explorer 8 and 2.  How do I have Internet Explorer reactivate itself (or should I download it)??? 

If I have not reached the correct group - would you call me with the best group to go to?  School starts in a few days and I need this computer running correctly for my online classes.  I'm not working and don't have money to pay for a tech to look at it.  Please HELP me with this.  I would appreciate a call so you can walk me thru it while I'm on the computer (407) 230-5658.  My email is:  askofflorida@hotmail.com

Thanks!!!

Elaine

Saturday, August 7, 2010 8:13 PM