Canon MP830 scanner not working under Window Server 2008 x64 RC1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am unable to get the scanner on my Canon MP830 to work under Window Server 2008 x64 RC1.  The printer works fine, and the scanner appears in the Device Manager as an imaging device, but the scanner is NOT detected by any of the scanner software, including the Canon MPNavigator v2.22.  I have tried the latest two versions of the MP830 drivers for Windows Server 2003 x64 and Windows Vista x64.  The scanner DOES work under Windows Server 2008 x64 RC0 and Windows Vista x64.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Chris

Sunday, February 3, 2008 9:10 PM

Answers

• This isnt really a Server Issue, but rather that Canon doesnt make drivers for server for the MP830 camera:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=OSCompatibilityAct&fcategoryid=125&keycode=windr

The recommended OS is XP or Vista.....although these drivers will sometimes work on server.

Ward

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 3:40 AM
  • Hello,

Because Windows Server 2008 is not officially released yet, some manufacturers may have not produced or have produced but have not published the device drivers for their produces to work with Windows Server 2008.

It is hardware manufacturers' responsibility to provide device drivers.

Therefore, I would like to recommend you to contact Canon Incorporation directly for further assistance.

I hope they can provide an updated version of device driver.

Thanks!

Regards,

Neo Zhu

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 9:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have had exactly the same problem with a Canon MP830 under Windows 2003 server Standard. It works on XP and Vista, but the scanner does not want to work under Windos 2003 server. It seems like it is not recognized as a valid TWAIN device.

Are you sure you had Windows 2003 drivers for the MP830? If so, can you tell me where you found those?

Aja

Monday, February 4, 2008 2:54 PM
  • This isnt really a Server Issue, but rather that Canon doesnt make drivers for server for the MP830 camera:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=OSCompatibilityAct&fcategoryid=125&keycode=windr

The recommended OS is XP or Vista.....although these drivers will sometimes work on server.

Ward

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 3:40 AM
  • Hello,

Because Windows Server 2008 is not officially released yet, some manufacturers may have not produced or have produced but have not published the device drivers for their produces to work with Windows Server 2008.

It is hardware manufacturers' responsibility to provide device drivers.

Therefore, I would like to recommend you to contact Canon Incorporation directly for further assistance.

I hope they can provide an updated version of device driver.

Thanks!

Regards,

Neo Zhu

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 9:25 AM
  • Although it is a 3rd party product, you might want to check out RemoteScan (www.Remote-Scan.com), which has been around since 2003 and provides TWAIN redirection for both RDP (Terminal Server) and ICA (Citrix) environments, as well as offering many other usability features, including hassle-free enterprise installation, user definable UI templates, lossless compression, support for virtually every TWAIN scanner on the market, support for other USB devices, and the ability to share a single scanner with other users.  - steve saroff, president of RemoteScan Corporation
    Sunday, April 13, 2008 11:53 PM
  • I had a similar issue getting an Epson scanner to work under Server 2008 RTM.  On a hunch, I installed the 'Desktop Experience' feature, and that added the "Windows Image Acquisition" service and undoubtedly a number of other APIs/features that you need for scanning software.

Of course, you also end up with Windows Defender, UAC, etc., so it's a mixed bag.  I haven't read the docs yet to see what other undesirables I have to go turn off now ...
    • Proposed as answer by erisnteadman Monday, March 5, 2012 12:11 AM
    Saturday, August 2, 2008 3:43 PM
  • I had a similar issue getting an Epson scanner to work under Server 2008 RTM.  On a hunch, I installed the 'Desktop Experience' feature, and that added the "Windows Image Acquisition" service and undoubtedly a number of other APIs/features that you need for scanning software.

Of course, you also end up with Windows Defender, UAC, etc., so it's a mixed bag.  I haven't read the docs yet to see what other undesirables I have to go turn off now ...

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, you are a Life Saver.  I've been trying to get a scanner to work with Windows Server 2008 for 4 weeks, tried 3 different scanners and countless hours spent on this.  Desktop Experience made all the difference and all scanners worked automatically after installed.

Thanks so much

Erin

Monday, March 5, 2012 12:11 AM