none
Enabling RemoteFX Disables Multiple Monitors

Question

• Hello Community,

I am configuring my Hyper-V install.  I have a quad monitor setup and had everything working just great with my VMC, but then saw that there's a RemoteFX feature that allows you to utilize the GPU?  I did install this and set the monitors to four.  However, when I sign in now I only get a single monitor.  Additionally, when I go into display settings, it reads "The settings cannot be changed from a remote session."

Any guidance/suggestions here would be awesome. :)

Thank you,

-MD

• Edited by Mike-EEE Monday, May 01, 2017 6:04 PM
    Monday, May 01, 2017 6:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Sir,

Please try to use MSTSC to connect to that VM with setting :

Or using  "enhanced session mode":

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 02, 2017 7:46 AM

• Thank you for your reply, Elton_Ji.  I do have Enhanced Session enabled in my VMC.  Looking at it further, the problem is that while I do get four monitors, I only get a single rendered monitor that is centered in the middle of them all.  So, each monitor is displaying 25% of a full monitor rendering, if that makes sense.

Is there a way to enable it so that there are four *rendered* monitor displays in my session rather than one?

• Edited by Mike-EEE Tuesday, May 02, 2017 8:37 AM
    Tuesday, May 02, 2017 8:33 AM
  • Is this like a really simple/obvious problem that I am overlooking, perhaps?  It seems like this would "just work."
    Wednesday, May 03, 2017 6:43 PM
  • Is this the right forum for this question? :P
    Friday, May 05, 2017 9:56 AM
  • Looking into this further, it appears that the following errors are being generated in my Event Log (Microsoft-Windows-RemoteDesktopServices-RdpCoreTS/Operational):

• 'Failed GetConnectionProperty' in CUMRDPConnection::QueryProperty at 2723 err=[0x80004001]
    • 'Async recv failed.' in CNamedPipeStream::CompleteRecv at 681 err=[0x8007006d]
    • 'Reverse Connection Listener Name not found.  Default Listener Name will be used.' in CUMRDPProtocolManager::CreateListener at 3817 err=[0x2]
    • 'Reverse Connection Listener Type not found.  Default to TCP only used.' in CUMRDPProtocolManager::CreateListener at 3830 err=[0x2]
    • 'Reverse Connection Listener Name not found.  Default Listener Name will be used.' in CUMRDPProtocolManager::CreateListener at 3817 err=[0x2]
    • 'Reverse Connection Listener Type not found.  Default to TCP only used.' in CUMRDPProtocolManager::CreateListener at 3830 err=[0x2]
    • 'Failed GetConnectionProperty' in CUMRDPConnection::QueryProperty at 2723 err=[0x80004001]
      'Failed CreateVirtualChannel call on this Connections Stack' in CUMRDPConnection::CreateVirtualChannel at 2337 err=[0xd0000001]

Additionally, the following warnings are generated:

• The display resolution requested by the remote client could not be enabled. The default resolution will be enabled for the RemoteFX session. The server may be experiencing high load
    • Disconnect trace:CUMRDPConnection Disconnect trace:'calling spGfxPlugin->PreDisconnect()' in CUMRDPConnection::PreDisconnect at 4456 err=[0xb], Error code:0xB

Also, some assumption checking here:

- I've seen references that Enterprise edition of Windows 7/8 is required.  Is that still the case for Windows 10?

- Does RemoteFX require a domain? Or does it work in a non-domain environment?

Saturday, May 06, 2017 6:59 AM
  • *Bump*
    Tuesday, May 09, 2017 9:06 AM
  • *Bump*

Is this the correct forum for this question?

Thursday, May 11, 2017 9:04 AM
  • *Bump*
    Monday, May 22, 2017 6:38 PM
  • *Bump*  Please let me know if there is a better forum for this question.
    Tuesday, May 23, 2017 10:02 AM
  • *Bump*  Please kindly let me know if there is a better forum for this question.
    Wednesday, May 24, 2017 12:08 PM
  • *Bump*  Please kindly let me know if there is a better forum for this question.
    Thursday, May 25, 2017 8:22 AM
    Friday, May 26, 2017 6:40 AM
    Sunday, May 28, 2017 12:51 AM
    Monday, May 29, 2017 8:54 AM
  • Hi Sir,

>>So, each monitor is displaying 25% of a full monitor rendering, if that makes sense.

Sorry for the delay .

Do you mean that four monitors should display in "copy" mode ?

If I recall it correctly , it is not "copy" mode by default .

I need to test it .

I'll keep you updated .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 1:15 PM
  • I can confirm the exact same problem.  I have 4x 1920x1080 monitors.  I have found they work via RDP without the HyperV VM having a RemoteFX adapter added.

After adding a RemoteFX adapter configured with the settings as 4 screens at up to 1920x1200, I can no longer use all 4 displays.  Instead, I end up with only a single display in the RDP window, the other 3 displays are just my regular desktop.

I have the same error messages in my event logs as the original poster.

If I disable two of the displays, I can get a connection on both of the remaining two displays with RemoteFX enabled.  The performance is notably more fluid, confirming RemoteFX is working.  The moment I enable even just the 3rd display, reconnecting to the RDP session goes back to only one display.  I also notice when this happens that the scaling seems to be quite different.

I think the key message here is the warning:

"The display resolution requested by the remote client could not be enabled. The default resolution will be enabled for the RemoteFX session. The server may be experiencing high load"

However, the server is not experiencing high load when I am doing this.

I am running Windows 10 Enterprise, build 15063 - so it is not a Pro/Enterprise issue.

Both HyperV host and VM are running from the same device.  I am essentially using RDP to connect to a guest running on the same local machine.

Watching this very closely...very keen for an update!

Friday, June 16, 2017 1:56 AM
  • >I am running Windows 10 Enterprise, build 15063 - so it is not a Pro/Enterprise issue.

Awesome.  Thanks for clarifying that Greg.  Also, glad to see I am not in a vacuum here. :)

I also get a lot of stuttering on my video playback in my Hyper-V (again, using Virtual Machine Connection and NOT RDP), and it would be nice to see if RemoteFX fixes this.

FWIW I am using a GeForce GTX 660 w/ 2GB of memory.

Thursday, June 22, 2017 1:09 PM
  • >FWIW I am using a GeForce GTX 660 w/ 2GB of memory.

I am also running a similar series of card, but I do not think the card is the problem.  This is running a GTX 960 2GB.

With two or less displays, RemoteFX definitely removes video stuttering for me.  But I need more displays.

Can we get some help on this one?  Has anyone at Microsoft tried running 4 displays on a Windows 10 Hyper-V RemoteFX setup?

Monday, July 10, 2017 3:48 AM
  • Any update from Microsoft on this?

Another thing to add...the monitors are connected by a variety of port types - DVI to Displayport, DVI, Displayport and HDMI to DVI.

Thursday, August 03, 2017 2:24 AM
  • Again +1 to the same setup.  2 DVIs, 1 Display Port and 1 HDMI.
    Thursday, August 03, 2017 7:52 AM
  • I have the same exact problem, this only affects 1703 and 1709 VM guests. If I RDP into Win 10 1607 with a remote FX adapter, there are no errors and multiple screens work. I have a ticket opened with Microsoft on this.
    Thursday, October 19, 2017 1:08 PM
  • NICE @clarkry!  Please update this thread with what you find, if anything.  Too bad it's not fixed in 1709. :P
    Thursday, October 19, 2017 1:13 PM
  • Did you end up finding a solution for this?
    Monday, November 20, 2017 5:26 AM
  • In my case, I narrowed it down to Win10 Build 1703. My image started at 1607 and worked fine. I updated to 1703 and it stopped working, which I hadn't quite put together right away. Anyway I tested a FRESH install of 1709 and it worked fine. I upgraded my existing 1703 image to 1709 and it was still not working correctly. I restored a backup of my original 1607  build and upgraded that to 1709 and multi monitor works now. I opened a ticket with Microsoft and they were actually no help whatsoever and my company is a Microsoft partner. Anyway it is working now for me at least. I'm chalking it up to having something to do with 1703 being upgraded from 1607 because a fresh 1703 also works.

Monday, November 20, 2017 12:57 PM
  • Microsoft and they were actually no help whatsoever

Basically my experience as well.  I am not sure why I even bother.  But, it must be nice to basically sit around all day and get paid for not knowing anything about the products you're supposed to assist with, outside of the basic Google search, that is.  I wonder if you get to wear sweatpants, too.

Monday, November 20, 2017 3:17 PM
  • Hi Mike, I believe your issue is that when remotely GPU is enabled, it puts limitations to how many monitors can be run, and at what resolution, depending on the dedicated video memory assigned. Open Hyper-V manager, then right click the VM you’re using and click settings. Under hardware, click on the RemoteFX 3D Video Adapter. Here you will see that you can select number of monitors, resolution, and dedicated video memory. The selections are dynamic, and if you select a lower VRAM setting, you will be limited in terms of how many monitors and what resolution you can run. They Issue I’ve had, is that I want to run 3 screens at 2560x1440, but even at maximum dedicated video memory, you are limited to a resolution of 1920x1200 for 3 monitors. It’s the same limit for 4 monitors. If you change this setting to match your configuration, but your monitors are higher than 1920x1200 resolution, you will get the log error you found when you try to launch ful screen, and it will reset to the default minimum. If you change resolution on all your screens on your local machine to match the RemoteFX limit, it should work fine. Now, if anyone finds a way to bypass the RemoteFX limits so i can run my 3 QHD monitors, let me know! Thanks, Dan
    Thursday, January 25, 2018 4:10 PM
  • Nah, that's not it Mike.

In fact, I have a snapshot of a freshly installed 1709 build.  Initially it worked (and I luckily took a snapshot whilst it was working for other purposes).  Soon afterward, it stopped working.  I cannot identify why.  However, if I roll back the snapshot, it works perfectly fine.  Something gets into a bad state, and it never recovers.  I can't identify the issue (but maybe Microsoft could help since I can reproduce?)

Tuesday, April 03, 2018 6:27 AM
  • I have experienced the same issue.

Host machine is running Win10 Pro, VM is running Win10 Ultimate trial.

Multiple monitors work fine until RemoteFX added and then it just stops working. Both win Gen 1 & Gen 2 VM's

I need RemoteFX for this application so am really keen to hear if anyone has sorted this issue.

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 4:54 AM
  • Installed Windows 10 1803 brand new install, wiped HD.  Upgraded to Hyper-V 8.3 configuration... same ol' disaster.

Why is this even a "feature" if it clearly doesn't even work?!  Has anyone had luck getting this to work, ever?

• Edited by Mike-EEE Thursday, August 09, 2018 6:14 AM
    Thursday, August 09, 2018 6:13 AM