Two programs will not uninstall. RRS feed

• Question

• Roxio was causing all kinds of problems on my vista PC even after a patch was realesed on their website. So I went to add/remove programs and uninstalled each of the components, however two, "Roxio Express Labeler" and "Roxio Update Manager", are still present. The strange thing is that there is no error in the uninstall process, it says gathering information, blah, blah, blah, then they are removed from the list of installed programs. However, the next time I open up the list of installed programs there they are. I have removed them both a dozen times and they are still there. Any ideas?
    Friday, February 8, 2008 5:08 PM

Answers

• I recommed you to repair the program then uninstall but if you want to force remove from add remove programs

follow

Add remove program keys stored three location

for msi files (your problem)

start run regedit

1)HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Installer\Products sub keys expand this key and search related program you will see product names right panel if you find it delete this GUID

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Installer\Products\GUID

2)HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products sub keys do same operations above

the difference between 1 and 2 is 1 is for current user(not available for other users) 2 is for all users

3)HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

sub keys is stored general msi exe installations

if you find and remove you will solve your problem if you cant remove specified keys you must take ownership of key and set user full rights

Friday, February 8, 2008 6:44 PM

All replies

• I recommed you to repair the program then uninstall but if you want to force remove from add remove programs

follow

Add remove program keys stored three location

for msi files (your problem)

start run regedit

1)HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Installer\Products sub keys expand this key and search related program you will see product names right panel if you find it delete this GUID

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Installer\Products\GUID

2)HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products sub keys do same operations above

the difference between 1 and 2 is 1 is for current user(not available for other users) 2 is for all users

3)HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

sub keys is stored general msi exe installations

if you find and remove you will solve your problem if you cant remove specified keys you must take ownership of key and set user full rights

Friday, February 8, 2008 6:44 PM
  • When I tried to repair it said the windows installer service could not be accessed, there was nothing in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER, however both (and only the two offending) of the Roxio programs were in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/ect. and the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/ect. directory and removing them got rid of the annoying programs that wouldn't dissapear. Thanks.

P.S. If anyone else is having a similar problem I wouldn't recommend digging around in the registry unless you know what you are doing, and don't forget to make a back-up!

Friday, February 8, 2008 7:32 PM