none
DPM 2012 Backup 50 To to tape RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I will need to back up a server (cluster) which has approximately 50To of data.

To do this, we have 2 Lto4 and 1 Lto5 libraries. That means it will use nearly 40 tapes.

As far I understand DPM (2012) will back up all this data on one set of tapes because there is only one PG for this server and there is no other manner to do it.

So the problem is that in case of recovery, it will require to reinsert the same set of tapes (40) even if there is only one single file to restore.

So I would like to know if what I say is correct and if there is a way to configure this backup differently to not have to do this in case of recovery.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 6:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, definitely split the data up on separate volumes if you can.  Overall backup, restore times will be better with that much data. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by mschindler Thursday, June 11, 2015 11:40 AM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2015 9:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you clarify what kind of data and how it's stored.  IE: Is it one gargantuan 50TB volume with files or is the 50TB across multiple volumes ?

DPM can protect different data sources (volumes) in separate protection groups.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 9:54 PM
  • Hi,

It's full of documents and unfortunately all are stored in the same volume.

But thank you for answer. If there isn't any other option, we wil have to split the data in multiple volumes

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 7:44 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, definitely split the data up on separate volumes if you can.  Overall backup, restore times will be better with that much data. 

• Marked as answer by mschindler Thursday, June 11, 2015 11:40 AM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2015 9:26 PM