Corrupt boot sector? RRS feed

• Question

• Vista SP1, 500GB disk, 3 partitions: system, data & other
    Used Paragon Parition Manager 8.5 to resize partitions (shrink system, expand data), rebooted and now can't boot. If I try safe mode, the last driver listed is crcdisk.sys, then it blue screens and restarts (too quickly to see the blue screen).

In System Recovery options get "Operating System: Unknown on (Unknown) Local disk". Open a command prompt there and can only see the data partition & the system restore partition.  If I try 'chkdsk c:' I get "the type of file system is RAS. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives".

If I run Startup Repair, I get the following output:
    Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
    Problem Signature 01: System Disk
    Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.0.0.0.0
    Problem Signature 03: 1
    Problem Signature 04: 65537
    Problem Signature 05: unknown
    Problem Signature 06: CorruptBootSector
    Problem Signature 07: 0
    Problem Signature 08: 1
    Problem Signature 09: FixBootSector
    Problem Signature 10: 1168
    OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033

Looking at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us, if I try 'bootrec /scanos' I get 'Total Identified Windows Installations: 0'. I've tried the /FixMBR and /Fixboot options, didn't work.

Is this just a corrupt boot sector, or could the other partions be damaged too?  What else can I try?  I don't mind reinstalling Vista but would prefer to avoid it.

(I have an XP box I could host the Vista disk in if there's any suitable tools I could use to check / repair the disk).
    Friday, April 4, 2008 8:56 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Since this issue occurs right after using Partition Manager 8.5, the issue is probably caused by Partition Manager 8.5. As I know, the latest version of Partition Manager is 9.0. It should be more compatible with Windows Vista.

As Partition Manager 8.5 is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft, we are not familiar with this software.

Currently, I suggest contacting the manufacturer of Partition Manager 8.5 for more information. Thank you for your understanding.

In addition, I have included a thread related to the crcdisk.sys error below for your reference:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2867700&SiteID=17

I hope your issue can be resolved soon.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, April 7, 2008 9:50 AM

All replies

• Today I had exactly the same problem with Paragon Partition Manager 8.5 and Windows Vista.
    Seems the Partition Manager has some problems with Vista partitions (especially when there are further partitions on the disk).
    Additionally I can add, that the Paragon Partition Manager reported, that there are cross-linked files on the Vista partition (it recommended to use the respective operating system to fix this, but as the previous post tells, there is no chance to find the Windows Vista partition). I am not sure, if this is another problem or correlates with the boot problem.

I'm still working on that issue.
    Saturday, April 5, 2008 5:54 PM
  •  

Hi,

Since this issue occurs right after using Partition Manager 8.5, the issue is probably caused by Partition Manager 8.5. As I know, the latest version of Partition Manager is 9.0. It should be more compatible with Windows Vista.

As Partition Manager 8.5 is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft, we are not familiar with this software.

Currently, I suggest contacting the manufacturer of Partition Manager 8.5 for more information. Thank you for your understanding.

In addition, I have included a thread related to the crcdisk.sys error below for your reference:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2867700&SiteID=17

I hope your issue can be resolved soon.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, April 7, 2008 9:50 AM
  • I get the same error message and I've not used Paragon Partition Manager. The computer locked up with increasing frequency in weeks before the crash, then couldn't find operating system the day of the crash. It eventually booted that day, but locked up repeatedly. 
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 6:19 AM
  • Folks

Looks like I run into a similar issue.  When using the Vista repair, there is no Vista OS, it cannot access the C: drive.  I did not install any partition manager.  I was using my computer, shut it down, and started about an hour later and this error occurred.  Have not been able to fix the error.  If I connect my harddrive using an usb adapter, all data and os files seem to be there.

rungun
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:00 PM