none
Backup of System State has stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone explain why the following problem occurs again and again ....

DPM 2010 (RTM) reports:

DPM cannot create a backup because Windows Server Backup (WSB) on the protected computer encountered an error (WSB Event ID: 546, WSB Error Code: 0x80790100). (ID 30229 Details: Internal error code: 0x809909FB)

Event log on protected server contains:

1)

Cryptographic Services failed while processing the OnIdentity() call in the System Writer Object.

Details:

AddCoreCsiFiles : BeginFileEnumeration() failed.

System Error:

Access is denied.

2) Block level backup engine service successfully started.

3) Backup attempted at '28-05-2010 10:38:26' failed to start, error code '2155413760'.

Running

Takeown /f %windir%\winsxs\filemaps\* /a
    icacls %windir%\winsxs\filemaps\*.* /grant "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(RX)"
    icacls %windir%\winsxs\filemaps\*.* /grant "NT Service\trustedinstaller:(F)"
    icacls %windir%\winsxs\filemaps\*.* /grant "BUILTIN\Users:(RX)"

solves the problem until it occurs again (after Windows Update ?)

Friday, June 25, 2010 6:49 AM

Answers

• This should resolve the re-occurance of the problem.

Takeown /f %windir%\winsxs\temp\PendingRenames /a
    icacls %windir%\winsxs\temp\PendingRenames /grant "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(RX)"
    icacls %windir%\winsxs\temp\PendingRenames /grant "NT Service\trustedinstaller:(F)"
    icacls %windir%\winsxs\temp\PendingRenames /grant BUILTIN\Users:(RX)

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, June 25, 2010 7:55 PM

All replies

• Hey,

I think this is more a question for the Windows Server team but I'll try to help a bit ;-)

Did you use a lockdown security tool for your servers?

Do you have any GPO's running that restrict access to your servers? (I've seen this a few times with customers who want to lock down the c-drives for all users except admins forgetting the sytem etc... users)

Just my 2 cents

Cheers,

Mike Resseler

Visit System Center User Group Belgium @ http://scug.be and http://scug.be/blogs/scdpm
    Friday, June 25, 2010 7:16 AM
  • Hi,

NO (not unless Windows did this behind our backs) and NO (GPOs as installed by Windows).

Friday, June 25, 2010 6:46 PM
  • This should resolve the re-occurance of the problem.

Takeown /f %windir%\winsxs\temp\PendingRenames /a
    icacls %windir%\winsxs\temp\PendingRenames /grant "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(RX)"
    icacls %windir%\winsxs\temp\PendingRenames /grant "NT Service\trustedinstaller:(F)"
    icacls %windir%\winsxs\temp\PendingRenames /grant BUILTIN\Users:(RX)

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, June 25, 2010 7:55 PM