none
Customer Roadmap for Service Provider RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

Thanks to Andrew Lavinsky and Barbara Henhapl for their responses to an earlier question today.

I have however struck a couple of other issues I am hoping someone may be able to assist with.

I have a project file that I have started developing to provide a "Customer Roadmap" to clients of an IT Service Provider.

The tool will be used in project/portfolio scheduling, demand management and transformation planning.  But from a more sensitive side be used to present to customers schedules of activities required to deliver their requirements within their prescribed timeframes.  In the event that current supporting projects are unable to meet the client timeframes the realistic delay will be presented.

The model is split into two major activities (Customer Activities and Service Provider Activities).  The Customer Activities section is supposed to show the business initiatives (with any mid project dependencies if relevant) with different colour coding based on the Activity Status (Pipeline, in-progress, closed...) and any delay caused as a result of the Service Provider not being able to achieve the requests within the requested timeframe.

The Service Provider Activities are categorised and by-in-large are normal tasks (with additional custom fields) that define when the request can be achieved.

The problems I have (in priority order) are:

1. The Customer Activity bars I wish to show in the GANTT chart are the based on the columns "Customer Project Start Date Required (Start1)" & "Customer Project Finish Date Required (Finish1)" for projects, "Customer Dependency Date Req [If applicable] (Finish2)" for mid-project dependencies and (Finish) for any delay.

I do however not want normal tasks (i.e. blue bars) represented in this section - how could I stop this?

2. The Flags I have set up to colour the Customer Activities are very inconsistent and it seems to be dependant on maybe a few thnigs including if it is a normal task or summary, if the query has conditional statements involving more than one field or if the field value contains spaces??

3. The custom text fields cannot contain carriage returns (i.e. Project Manager Details).  I was hoping for the value to contain:

Name: Fred Dagg

Mobile: 0408278345

Email: fred.dagg@company.com

I was also getting scheduling conflicts when adding new tasks but that seems to have cleared itself up.

Apologies in advance if I'm going about this incorrectly as I accept I'm no Project expert.

Thanks for any assistance.

Geoff.

Link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35144032/Service%20Provider%20-%20Customer%20Roadmap%20Capability%20Model%202012.01.05.mpp

Thursday, January 5, 2012 1:22 AM

Answers

• 1. The Customer Activity bars I wish to show in the GANTT chart are the based on the columns "Customer Project Start Date Required (Start1)" & "Customer Project Finish Date Required (Finish1)" for projects, "Customer Dependency Date Req [If applicable] (Finish2)" for mid-project dependencies and (Finish) for any delay.

I do however not want normal tasks (i.e. blue bars) represented in this section - how could I stop this?

Hello MakoFish,

If you are using Start1, Finish1 to display bars, that means you do not use Project for scheduling. If this is what you want, you can simply delete blue bar line in Bar Styles dialog box (hit Del button). You can take it back anytime you want by deleting Gantt Chart in the Organizer (be careful - delete on the active project pane not on the Global.mpt pane). I would suggest using Excel for this type of static timetables. Using Finish or Finish2 instead of Finish1: you can achieve this functionality by using the custom date field Finish1 with a formula checking against the criteria. Please note that Finish1 field will be closed for entry if you use a formula. 

Please post back for further questions.

Regards & Happy New Year...

PS.
    -If you are concerned about revealing your identity when submitting a document on the internet, pls consider checking the
    box in Security tab of Options dialog box (Remove information from file properties on save). You can, of course, also manually delete that information.
    -It seems you do not have SP3 installed. You can download it here at http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=27811

Friday, January 6, 2012 11:33 AM

All replies

• While i understand what you are trying to do, I can't quite get my head around how you are trying to do it.  I suspect you are trying to bend Project to your will rather than use it as intended as a tool to compute and present a project schedule.  Project does not bend to will easily.  

Re No. 1: Right mouse click on the Gantt chart and see where you can specify other fields to use to display bars.  You can also look at Filters in the view to not show what you call "normal" tasks by defining them to be filtered out.

Re No 2: I don't know what you mean by setting up flags and colouring Customer activities.  Are you trying to apply colour formatting on name fields of Customer acivities, or are you using custom flag fields?

Re No. 3: I'm unaware of how to put carriage returns in text fields.  They just hold text.  I'd suggest if you want this info to use three separate text fields, or just live with the word-wrapping of a long string of text that Project does for you.  If I were to put this sort of info into a project schedule (and it's unlikely that I would), I'd do the latter.

--rms www.rmschneider.com
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 8:44 AM
  • Rob,

In reference to item 3. Each of the extra text fields in Project will hold up to 256 characters but no line feeds. However the Notes field was specifically designed for large quantities of textual data, including line feeds and other formatting. In Geoff's case the project manager details can be entered into the Notes field just as he shows them in his example.

John

Thursday, January 5, 2012 5:00 PM
  • John,

Good point.  I knew that, but he said he was using custom text field.  I didn't mention Notes as I assumed since Notes field designed for large quantity of formatted text, it wasn't really appropriate for a small amount of data as shown. While I probably would not put such data into a project file, three separate custom text fields still seems the way to go if a word-wrapped version in one text field doesn't work.  I think Notes still best left for notes.

--rms www.rmschneider.com
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 5:07 PM
  • Rob,

The poster appears fairly new to Project. His use of the term "custom text fields" is a misnomer, they are really extra fields and only become "custom" when they are renamed, have value lists or formulas. Otherwise they are simply extra fields with data.

In my opinion the Notes field is for any type of reference textual data, large or small, exactly the type of data Geoff describes.

However, if Geoff wants to be able to view that data as columns in a normal Gantt Chart view, then yes, three extra text fields would be the better choice. To view the full Notes field information, he would either need to use the Notes tab of the Task Information window or hover his mouse over the Indicators field which normally appear at the far left next to the ID field.

My two cents.

John

Thursday, January 5, 2012 5:35 PM
  • 1. The Customer Activity bars I wish to show in the GANTT chart are the based on the columns "Customer Project Start Date Required (Start1)" & "Customer Project Finish Date Required (Finish1)" for projects, "Customer Dependency Date Req [If applicable] (Finish2)" for mid-project dependencies and (Finish) for any delay.

Hello MakoFish,

If you are using Start1, Finish1 to display bars, that means you do not use Project for scheduling. If this is what you want, you can simply delete blue bar line in Bar Styles dialog box (hit Del button). You can take it back anytime you want by deleting Gantt Chart in the Organizer (be careful - delete on the active project pane not on the Global.mpt pane). I would suggest using Excel for this type of static timetables. Using Finish or Finish2 instead of Finish1: you can achieve this functionality by using the custom date field Finish1 with a formula checking against the criteria. Please note that Finish1 field will be closed for entry if you use a formula. 

Please post back for further questions.

Regards & Happy New Year...

PS.
    -If you are concerned about revealing your identity when submitting a document on the internet, pls consider checking the
    box in Security tab of Options dialog box (Remove information from file properties on save). You can, of course, also manually delete that information.
    -It seems you do not have SP3 installed. You can download it here at http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=27811

Friday, January 6, 2012 11:33 AM