Skype for Business External Client Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Team,

I have deployed the skype edge server on prem 2015 successfully. the skype for business client shomehow not able to connect. I am afraid that public DNS records are not configured properly. the below records have been configured. Please assist

1- SRV records

_sip._tls.domain.com.pk                            1 10 443 edge.domain.com.pk

_sipfederationtls._tcp.domain.com.pk      1 10 5061 edge.domain.com.pk

2- CNAME records

sip.domain.com.pk                                   edge.domain.com.pk (External Access Edge Service)

lyncdiscover.domain.com.pk                    edge.domain.com.pk (External Access Edge Service)

I have internal front end pool with single internal NIC, is there any need to add public IP on it as well? 

Monday, June 1, 2020 10:17 AM

Answers

• Hi KaashifSaeed!

To my knowledge, you still need to add three A records about edge server on external DNS configuration, the red box shows three DNS configurations about it and you can check it.

Besides, edge server has to have two network interface cards(NIC). On a 2 NIC Edge, each one of the NICs has to be connected to a separate subnet. One of the subnet is defined as being connected to the internal side of the Edge with the other connected to the external side. You need to assign three public IP address for each server. If you use Hardware Load Balancing, you will need three more Public IP addresses above those you have pulled for the Edge servers themselves. These additional IP addresses are used for the Edge’s virtual IP addresses (VIPs).

If you want to learn more about how to deploy edge server in Skype for Business, you can refer to this blog:

http://blog.schertz.name/2016/03/skype-for-business-2015-edge-server-deployment/

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 2, 2020 2:23 AM

All replies

• Hi KaashifSaeed!

To my knowledge, you still need to add three A records about edge server on external DNS configuration, the red box shows three DNS configurations about it and you can check it.

Besides, edge server has to have two network interface cards(NIC). On a 2 NIC Edge, each one of the NICs has to be connected to a separate subnet. One of the subnet is defined as being connected to the internal side of the Edge with the other connected to the external side. You need to assign three public IP address for each server. If you use Hardware Load Balancing, you will need three more Public IP addresses above those you have pulled for the Edge servers themselves. These additional IP addresses are used for the Edge’s virtual IP addresses (VIPs).

If you want to learn more about how to deploy edge server in Skype for Business, you can refer to this blog:

http://blog.schertz.name/2016/03/skype-for-business-2015-edge-server-deployment/

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 2, 2020 2:23 AM
  • Thanks Jimmy for providing the direction and apology for the late response due to another assignment. I have added the records in public DNS. I will test the impact and get back

BR,

Kashif Saeed

KaashifSaeed

Saturday, June 6, 2020 2:50 PM