Use Azure Cloud DP as the preferred DP for a given subnet RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

In my company, I have a central SCCM infrastructure (including 2 DP configured for fallback) and each big geographical site also have a dedicated DP (fallback not activated)

I also have small branch offices where Internet connectivity is better the one to the internal network. For those ones, I think about using Azure DP to deliver software updates (if not available on Microsoft updates, like 3rd-party ones).

I add a look to TechNet article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712321.aspx#BKMK_ClientToCloudDP, and I am not clear about the order logic to decide which DP will be used.

Given my configuration, and assuming I will assign a given boundary group to a dedicated DP group only containing the Azure DP, are clients members of this boundary always used by default the Azure DP (scenario I want), or are they going to use first the central DP which is enabled for fallback (scenario I don't want). Basically I only would like those clients to fallback on central DP in case Internet connectivity is loss.

Regards.

Sylvain

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:31 AM

Answers

• have you thought of using windows Intune yet for that purpose?

with SP1 you can connect to that subscription from within the console

Thursday, February 28, 2013 8:52 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thanks for the link, I am aware about fallback mechanism. My primary question is to understand how Azure DP works in this context. Does it act differently ?

Regards.

Sylvain

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:02 AM
  • The use of a Cloud DP, is controlled like any other DP you have, by using Boundary Groups. So it's easy to control. Just think of the cloud DP as any other DP you would setup.

When delivering software updates to clients from a cloud DP, the client will simply use Microsoft Update. There’s no need to pay for the traffic from Azure, when the data is available in the "public cloud" for free :)

Ronni Pedersen | Microsoft MVP - ConfigMgr | Blogs: http://www.ronnipedersen.com/ and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter @ronnipedersen

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:26 AM
  • It dosn't support task sequences or software update packages.

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund | Mastering ConfigMgr 2012 The Fundamentals

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 11:12 AM
  • Yes it does not support SUP, I just discovered it doing a real trial... Too bad.

Is it officially documented somewhere, I have not found any reference to this limitation ?

While it's fine for Microsoft updates (available on Microsoft servers), I am also using SCUP for Adobe patching, etc. My intention was to use Azure DP to host this kind of 3rd-party SUP package.

Regards.

Sylvain

• Edited by Sylbae-a Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:01 PM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:00 PM
  • This is a known limitation. Not everything that is known is or can be documented though. I recommend you send an email to smsdocs [at] Microsoft.com and ask for the documentation to be updated to reflect this limitation.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:58 PM
  • As it looks Azure DP is no longer an option for me... I am still looking for the best way to execute patch management (OSD and application deployment is out of SCCM scope) for clients that have a better connectivity to Internet than to the internal LAN...

Do you see any smart way for clients inside specified boundary groups to follow the following priority order...

1. Download of Microsoft Updates from Internet (Microsoft servers)

2. Download of other content 3rd party Updates from a remote DP or a fallback DP

Regards.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 7:46 AM
  • have you thought of using windows Intune yet for that purpose?

with SP1 you can connect to that subscription from within the console

Thursday, February 28, 2013 8:52 AM