none
Restart QR server one by one RRS feed

• Question

• Hi..

We have implemented FAST ESP with 2 QR Servers & 1 Admin servers. Everything is working with this infrastructure settings. But now facing a problem. While we are performing Indexing on Admin server, after completion of Indexing, both QR Servers restarted at same time. At that moment, users are facing "Search is temporarily down" error. I have checked to stop the automatic restart of QR Server from this link - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2017510. But in this case, we have to restart QR Servers manually. But we don't want to do that. We need something so that QR Server should restart one by one so that users should not faced "search down" error. Is there any procedure to implement this kind of settings? We can write VBScript to make it done but again we have to run this VBS manually which we don't want. Is there anyway to restart QR Server one by one or run this VBScript after completion of Indexing automatically?

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 7:43 AM

All replies

• Hi Rituparna,

Out of the box, there isn’t a way to automatically restart the qrservers one at a time in ESP.  Using a scripted method to accomplish restarting the qrservers one at a time would be the best method to accomplish this.  Let us know if you have more questions on this topic.

Thanks!

Rob Vazzana | Sr Support Escalation Engineer | US Customer Service & Support

Customer Service   & Support                            Microsoft| Services

Thursday, June 7, 2012 8:02 PM
  • Hi Rituparna,

Out of the box, there isn’t a way to automatically restart the qrservers one at a time in ESP.  Using a scripted method to accomplish restarting the qrservers one at a time would be the best method to accomplish this.  Let us know if you have more questions on this topic.

Thanks!

Rob Vazzana | Sr Support Escalation Engineer | US Customer Service & Support

Customer Service   & Support                            Microsoft| Services

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply..

Can you please let us know step by step guide on this? How to write this script? If you can provide us step by step guide on this, it will be better for us to implement.

Thanks,

Rituparna

Friday, June 8, 2012 4:29 AM
  • I think you can do following steps ,  run these commands on each machine at different time.

qrserver-admin -m remove servername1

nctrl  restart qrserver

qrserver-admin -m  add  servername2

Harvail

Friday, June 8, 2012 9:37 AM
  • I think you can do following steps ,  run these commands on each machine at different time.

qrserver-admin -m remove servername1

nctrl  restart qrserver

qrserver-admin -m  add  servername2

Harvail

Hi Harvail,

Please check my post again. We want automation after indexing. Manually anytime we can do it. But it should happen automatically after indexing.

Regards,

Rituparna

Friday, June 8, 2012 9:43 AM
  • I meant you always can put in scheduler these commands.

Harvail

Friday, June 8, 2012 9:47 AM
  • I meant you always can put in scheduler these commands.

Harvail

How to do that? If I put it on windows scheduler, it will not work as windows will not be able to understand when Indexing is going to be finished. Even we can't find it out. Isn't it?
    Friday, June 8, 2012 9:51 AM
  • you can not say that index is finished. But you can always suspend indexing for some period (for starting the QRserver only) using indexeradmin command.

Then resume indexing.

More over you should also stop feeding too for that period.

Harvail

Friday, June 8, 2012 10:36 AM