none
DaRT download version (MDOP) question... RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking to integrate DaRT into my WDS. There are several versions available.
    The only question about the install is...do I download the version base don my MDT server, which is 2012R2, or is the version based on the target pc I want to boot up? And since having two boot options now, I imagine I would have to change my CS to SkipBDDWelcome=NO?
    Friday, November 3, 2017 8:07 PM

Answers

• Consequently, they have remote service turned off on the PC's so I can't remote in while the pc is in Windows. Not sure if I would be able to in WinPE. 

You will be able to. Take a look at this walkthrough on details how to make this work: http://www.vkernel.ro/blog/integrating-dart-8-x-with-mdt-2013-and-enable-dart-remote-control

As far as USB boot goes - you would need to generate a set of bootable media with SkipBDDWelcome set to NO, so that your technicians will have access to the entire set of DaRT tools once WinPE is initialized. Then, rename the ISO you will use to generate your USB media and set SkipBDDWelcome back to YES.

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

• Marked as answer by the1rickster Monday, November 6, 2017 5:05 PM
    Sunday, November 5, 2017 4:07 PM

All replies

• Depends on how you wish you utilize DaRT. Personally I only use the Remote Connection component as a way to remotely troubleshoot a deployment stuck in WinPE. Either way, since you are deploying Windows 10, you should be integrating DaRT 10 into your deployment share. There are multiple tutorials on the web for DaRT 8 - these still apply to version 10.

Cheers,
    Anton

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Friday, November 3, 2017 8:47 PM
  • Thanks. I'm not sure about using this. It might just be something confusing to the techs booting up to clone a pc. If we do, however, I am asking...if we want to boot a pc to Dart which has Win7 on it, I need to have a boot wim for them to click at the welcome screen....likewise for Win10? The server version of OS doesn't matter...?

If this is the case....is there a way to boot from F12, PXE via the LAN, to go directly to the MDT Deploy list, while using a USB to boot to the same server but get directed only to Dart? I'd like us to continue using F12 to PXE right into the MDT Tasks, and use USB to boot to the Dart boot wim. Is this possible?

Consequently, they have remote service turned off on the PC's so I can't remote in while the pc is in Windows. Not sure if I would be able to in WinPE.

Thanks

Saturday, November 4, 2017 6:22 PM
  • Consequently, they have remote service turned off on the PC's so I can't remote in while the pc is in Windows. Not sure if I would be able to in WinPE. 

You will be able to. Take a look at this walkthrough on details how to make this work: http://www.vkernel.ro/blog/integrating-dart-8-x-with-mdt-2013-and-enable-dart-remote-control

As far as USB boot goes - you would need to generate a set of bootable media with SkipBDDWelcome set to NO, so that your technicians will have access to the entire set of DaRT tools once WinPE is initialized. Then, rename the ISO you will use to generate your USB media and set SkipBDDWelcome back to YES.

Cheers,
    Anton

• Marked as answer by the1rickster Monday, November 6, 2017 5:05 PM
    Sunday, November 5, 2017 4:07 PM
  • I get it now. So the USB would display both boot options, Dart and MDT (SkipWelcome=NO), while F12 would go directly into MDT Deployment (SkipWelcome=YES), correct?
    This would work perfectly. I will read the link you sent about Remote ability, also.

Monday, November 6, 2017 3:03 AM
  • One last question about booting USB to Dart...

If I set a USB to boot to the BDD Welcome screen, I can choose either MDT Deployment - or Dart.

However, using F12 to PXE, instead of USB, if I turn off the Welcome Screen, there will still be two boot files. How will F12 PXE know to boot to MDT Deployment with two boot files in WDS? Will I still get prompted to choose Dart.wim vs LiteTouch.wim. This likely isn't correct since the Welcome Screen is off...so if anyone can clarify that would be very helpful.

Monday, November 6, 2017 4:08 PM
  • I'm installing Dart. It tells me I need to enable the WinPE  component if ADK. I have, a long time ago. So when I continue (without downloading ADK), I get two things showing that will be installed... Crash Analyzer and Dart Remote Connection. None of the other features, Explorer, Reg Editor, Disk Wipe...are listed. Only two.
    Monday, November 6, 2017 7:49 PM
  • I have an odd situation with testing WSUS. Fortunately, I won't be the one who has to approve updates or block any, this is just to ensure I can get MDT to communicate with my test WSUS.

It does communicate and pull in the Cumulative Update. What it also does is attempt to install some "Intel(R) Corporation - MEDIA" file which stalls out the MDT process until I kill it. I have anything with 'Driver' in its name unchecked so I don't pull in any. The only thing I have approved to install is the Cumulative update. I'd just like it to complete successfully once.

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 3:18 PM
  • I am on the road right now, so I‘ll have to be brief. Try the approach in the following blog post to block automatic driver updates: https://jsiewert.wordpress.com/2017/05/26/automatic-driver-updates-during-mdt-deployment-of-windows-10-1607/

Cheers,
    Anton

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 8:32 PM
  • It bombs. It likely works on 1607. I know some things that did work on 1607 fail on 1703. Esp dealing with registry edits. The error was code 2147467259.
    The registry path does exist but fails to get modified.
    Thursday, November 9, 2017 7:50 PM
  • I have an update. It seems I can change that registry key by using a batch file and using
    reg add "HKLM.....", rather than a CMD line in MDT.   Now, the first thing that happens at the desktop is the Cumulative Update, with no apparent driver downloads.

Once that completes, it goes to 'downloading Intel SYSTEM' and hangs there forever. I doubt this is a driver, but I'm lost as to what it is. So I don't know what else to block. I have everything unchecked in WSUS.
    Friday, November 10, 2017 5:24 AM