Server 2012 Hyper-V storage and file sharing

• Good Afternoon,

I have a single physical server running windows 2012 server standard (named ABCSERVER) with Hyper-v Role and 2 Standard 2012 VM's (ABCSERVER3 and ABCSERVER4). the Physical server has Disk 0 as a 1TB Raid 10 Volume with 3 separate Volumes on it. C:\ host OS (ABCSERVER) E:\ Data Storage G:\ virtual Storage (VHD's).

Due to Microsoft License restrictions, I have to remove all roles except for Hyper-V Manager from ABCSERVER so as to not consume one of the 2 Standard 2012 licenses I am entitled to with my purchase of Server 2012 Standard. (I am already using 2 licenses for my 2 VM's ABCSERVER3 and ABCSERVER4). 

My question is: what is the best way to share user data to end users on my Host machine without using the file sharing capabilities of ABCSERVER?

Thank You in advance

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 9:15 PM

All replies

• If you're still using the host for more than just a Hyper-V host, you're not meeting the licensing restrictions.  Also, this isn't a recommended scenario.

The best solution would be to use one of the VMs for file sharing.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 6:13 AM
  • Thank you, how would I use one of my existing VMs to Share drive space that exists on the physical hosts 1TB volume?

would I somehow map it to the virtual machine, and if so what tool/protocol should I use? I just don't know how to share a volume inside the VM that resides on the Physical host yet.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:54 PM