No Desktop after Windows Update RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, each time I do a windows update and my computer reboots all loads great, but when it starts to load the desktop it is blank, all I can see is the Build # in the lower left corner. There is NO desktop, no start menu, just a big black screen. Usually when this did it in the past I re-installed the video drivers, but this not to work anymore after the new update on 7-22-09. I did a system restore to the day before and still nothing. What is happening? I can get to the task manager and run programs from there, but nothing else.
    I have a self-made computer a AMD Phenom triple core, a Nvidia GTX 260 video card. I tried the newest drivers that was released 7-21-09 and nothing. Please help, this is making me really frustrated.
    Aaron Hart
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 1:51 PM

All replies

• This same thing happened to me about two weeks ago adn it's driving me crazy. I can only get on the internet for some reason, but the desktop is black and I can't get to anything else. Please let me know if you find something that can fix this!!!!!! Thanks.
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 7:23 AM
  • Me too on the 1st october I have used windows update and a nvidia driver was installed from there I can see my desktop but no file on it just the screen teme.
    I will try to reinstall my nvidia driver.
    Friday, October 2, 2009 5:16 PM
  • Hi guys,

Are you running multiple displays as an extended desktop?

Try the following key combo [WIN+P] and select 'Computer Only' and see if that has any effect.

Hope it helps :)

Jeff
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 12:48 AM
  • It turns out that was hide icon desktop.
    Thank you
    Fabrizio
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 2:07 PM
  • Ah, that's good news :D
    If anyone is helpfull, please click the 'Vote as helpfull' icon. If anyone has answered, please click 'Suggest as answer' at the bottom of the post involved :) Thanks
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 5:47 PM
  • I have just installed the updates of 13/12/2012 and had the same problem. I did a system restore and everything worlked OK, but the updates still come, and the problem happens again. I ran the windows update fix it and am now downloading and installing each update in turn. Hopefully I will find the culprit and ID it for other users.
    Thursday, December 13, 2012 11:01 PM
  • After I installed the updates again, one at a time, they all installed without a problem. I must assume that there was a glitch during installation, as everything seems OK now. Sorry not to be of much help. It took about an hour to resinstall all 6 updates.
    Friday, December 14, 2012 1:11 AM