none
Backup to Azure fails - encryption passphrase issue and error editing azure configuration RRS feed

• Question

• All of a sudden we are having an issue backing up to Azure. Error is "The encryption passphrase stored for this computer is not correctly configured (34506)"

Nothing has changed, so I'm not sure why we are getting this error.  I ended up trying to go in to the online section to configure but get another error there.  If I go to management - online and click configure, I pull up the configuration screen for the proxy - then if I click next, I get the following error "The configuration settings for this server were not able to be saved at this time (ID:280008)"

Has any one run into this?  I haven't been able to find anything related to it.  Pretty close to opening a case with MS.

Thanks

Friday, June 5, 2015 7:36 PM

Answers

• This issue was resolved as the drive that the scratch folder was on became disconnected from the server - would be nice if it simply stated that :)

Having another issue but I'll post a new topic.

• Marked as answer by Maytrix Wednesday, June 10, 2015 1:57 PM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2015 1:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As you said you may need to open a case with Microsoft for this issue. It seems that you have problem in configging Online Backup which may be caused in Azure side, which we will not able to help.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 8, 2015 8:52 AM
  • This issue was resolved as the drive that the scratch folder was on became disconnected from the server - would be nice if it simply stated that :)

Having another issue but I'll post a new topic.

• Marked as answer by Maytrix Wednesday, June 10, 2015 1:57 PM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2015 1:57 PM
  • I had same problem but drive was not available anymore.

Procedure to fix it:

1. create new volume and assign drive letter for example E:\

2. create folders E:\Scratch\Scratch; E:\Restore

3. edit "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Azure Backup\Config\ScratchLocation" key to  E:\Scratch\Scratch

• Edited by Kacar Ondrej Monday, December 19, 2016 9:24 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Marc' Wednesday, January 30, 2019 1:37 AM
    Monday, December 19, 2016 9:18 AM
  • Incidentally, the above will work fine for pointing the data there, but the encryption passphrase errors will not go away if you have recreated the scratch disk entirely. To resolve that issue, in the GUI you can go to Management > Configure and update the Recovery Folder Settings to the new path, along with the Encryption Setting by using your old password again. When completing, the registration process should complete again and authorize you to manage your previous Azure backups from the console.
    Thursday, May 11, 2017 7:19 PM
  • This was my problem; the Scratch disk had been recreated. Dave Christensen's steps resolved my alerts. 
    Monday, August 14, 2017 1:54 PM
  • Thanks for this! Not my exact problem, but I had a similar error when trying to click next in the Register Server Wizard. My problem was that DPM is running in Azure IaaS VM and I am using the D (Temporary Storage) drive as the Scratch Drive. My Scratch folder was wiped out (which can be expected). I simply had to recreate the folder and everything working again.
    Wednesday, July 25, 2018 2:34 PM