none
Completion Time vs Lapsed Time RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone!

Im having a problem with my microsft project and I need your help.

I have all my tasks and resources in line with their predecesors and completion percentaje but I want to visualize the relationship between my completion percentage and my lapsed time per task. For example, a task completed in a 50% within the 90% of lapsed time is not a good key indicator, but viceversa it is, 90% of completion with 50% of lapsed time is an excellent key indicator!

Thats my question. How can I visualize that relationship or at least both percentages, so I can make a visual comparison between them.

Thanks!

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 12:56 PM

All replies

• Hi

Per my understanding you are looking for visual comparison of what you have planned vs what you have achieved or completed. Correct me if I am wrong.

To achieve this you would need to baseline Project Plan/Tasks. It is recommended to set baseline before you start executing/tracking your project so that you can use the baseline information for comparison.

Once you have baseline set you can use Tracking Gantt chart view to compare your current Project Status with what you baselined.

The below article contains detailed steps on how to set baseline

http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/project-help/create-or-update-a-baseline-or-an-interim-plan-HA010377767.aspx

Thanks,

Kiran K.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 1:17 PM
  • You may find the Status Indicator field added to a task view is helpful.  As Kiran notes, save a baseline and then make sure you are tracking and updating the schedule by moving any incomplete work forward to the current or status date.

Julie

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:09 PM
  • Jon, forgive a simple question - how do you distinguish between the elapsed time on a task and completion percentage? The elapsed time can be found from the Actual Duration - and the ratio of this to the total duration is the % Complete.

Another measure of completion may be the work done. For this you have the Actual Work and the ratio of this to the total work on the task is the % Work complete. If you display % Complete and % Work Complete side by side for a task, do you not get the visula comparison that you're after?

Graham

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 4:28 AM