What happened to the performance on Media Center? RRS feed

• Question

• I have used Media Center since XP MCE.  I have just added it to my first instance of Win 8 pro.  Sometime since the launch of Windows 7 - around the release of the TV pack - the performance footprint of this software became a disaster.  I have a vista MCE in my house that runs the old dvr-ms format on old, crappy hardware and it works fine.  I have my win8 PC (which is an upgraded win7 pc) and media center is unusably slow.  From the moment of launch it is choppy and lags several seconds on each UI interaction.  On Win 8 I haven't been able to get it working properly at all, but under win7 media center would run with expected fluid performance until "ehvid.exe" popped up in the task manager, then it all goes to hell.  

I've played with the codec suite using both shark007 and klite, following guidance from other sites with no change.

Hate the idea of going open source, but that's what's left if I can't get this sorted.

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Thursday, December 6, 2012 3:19 AM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows Vista Applications)
    Tuesday, December 4, 2012 3:20 PM

Answers

• I got so disgusted with trying to get a simple DVD or MP4 to play that I finally just installed VLC Media Player <http://www.videolan.org/>. Works great for my needs on my Win7 desktop and Win8 laptop. I don't know if it has any of the features you're looking for, but might be worth a preview. I know you "Hate the idea of going open source", but I generally do, too, until I started running into these problem with WMP.

On a side note, I finally (after 10 days) got the key to install MCE on my Win8 upgrade, but after reading of all the problems it seems to cause, I've decided against installing it. I'll stick to VLC.

SC Tom

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:53 AM
    Thursday, December 6, 2012 1:00 PM

All replies

• I got so disgusted with trying to get a simple DVD or MP4 to play that I finally just installed VLC Media Player <http://www.videolan.org/>. Works great for my needs on my Win7 desktop and Win8 laptop. I don't know if it has any of the features you're looking for, but might be worth a preview. I know you "Hate the idea of going open source", but I generally do, too, until I started running into these problem with WMP.

On a side note, I finally (after 10 days) got the key to install MCE on my Win8 upgrade, but after reading of all the problems it seems to cause, I've decided against installing it. I'll stick to VLC.

SC Tom

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:53 AM
    Thursday, December 6, 2012 1:00 PM
  • Not the answer I was looking for. Looks like I'll be going back to Win 7. VLC doesn't work for me for Live TV.
    Friday, February 14, 2014 3:19 PM