How to see IP address of Remote Access Client - Windows Server 2008 with RRAS configured RRS feed

• Question

• Hello ,

I have Windows Server 2008 R2 with Routing and Remote Access configured (i did not perform its configuration). Basically I'm using it as PPTP server. There are two VPN users connected to it and I can see them in Service manager under Network Policy  and Access Services>Routing and Remote Access>Remote Access Clients. By right click on appropriate user I can invoke window with status information of user and see its TUNNEL IP address, but not its "real" IP address with which it is connected to RRAS server. Can anyone suggest how can I see from which IP remote access client is connected to the server?

Thank you!

Monday, February 27, 2012 5:39 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

From your description, I know that you want to know the remote address of the VPN client. However, please note that the VPN connection firstly establish the VPN tunnel using tunnel protocol, such as PPTP, L2TP. Then, use their public IP addresses as it source and destination. And all internal packets were encapsulated at the tunnel packet. When the packet arrived at the VPN server, it transfers to normal internal packets which have internal IP address. So we can see the VPN client internal IP address under the console. But we cannot see the public IP address of the remote client. Because the client cannot be indicate exactly by the public IP address if the remote client behind a NAT device. So the public IP address of client may not that useful for us management remote access.

Best Regards,
    Aiden

Aiden Cao

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by im_user Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:35 PM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 10:15 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

From your description, I know that you want to know the remote address of the VPN client. However, please note that the VPN connection firstly establish the VPN tunnel using tunnel protocol, such as PPTP, L2TP. Then, use their public IP addresses as it source and destination. And all internal packets were encapsulated at the tunnel packet. When the packet arrived at the VPN server, it transfers to normal internal packets which have internal IP address. So we can see the VPN client internal IP address under the console. But we cannot see the public IP address of the remote client. Because the client cannot be indicate exactly by the public IP address if the remote client behind a NAT device. So the public IP address of client may not that useful for us management remote access.

Best Regards,
    Aiden

Aiden Cao

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by im_user Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:35 PM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 10:15 AM
  • Hi Aiden Cao,

Regarding client (which is behind NAT) indication by public IP address - sounds logical... Thanks!

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:35 PM