Is Windows Server 2016 ODX compatible as a storage device? RRS feed

• Question

• Is Windows Server 2016 ODX (offload data transfer) compatible as a storage device aka storage server aka iscsi target in a hyper-v cluster?

Thanks.

Thomas.

Thursday, July 7, 2016 6:57 AM

Answers

• Thanks,

I knew that too. But that isn't "good news". MS is starving to add any tiny little functionality hanging around so nobody can tell that there is anything impossible with Windows Server and then, there are some nice features just coming too late. And then lots of efforts have to be deployed to convince customers to come back to "software based" this and that...

Thanks anyway for the implication.

Thomas.

• Marked as answer by Thomas M.T. _ Wednesday, February 15, 2017 9:52 AM
    Monday, July 11, 2016 7:15 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Based on my research, Offloaded Data Transfer (ODX) is a feature in Microsoft Windows Server 2012 that speeds up 'copy and move' operations and has no big change in Server 2016 Technical Preview.

Please go through the following articles to get more information about this feature:

Windows Offloaded Data Transfers Overview

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831628%28v=ws.11%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Hyper-V Offloaded Data Transfer Overview

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831375(v=ws.11).aspx

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 8, 2016 7:09 AM
  • Alvwan,

Thanks for the reply. First, I know all that and second, saying that ODX "has no big change in Server 2016 Technical Preview" does not respond to the question. It's yes or no.

I'm not talking about the OS's capability to access and profit from ODX enabled devices but if Microsoft Storage server or all the new storage enhancement to MS STORAGE DEVICES implement ODX as "provider" of that ODX function?

To be clear, assuming a Hyper-V cluster uses MS iSCSI targets as SAN, will those support ODX?

Thomas.

Friday, July 8, 2016 1:07 PM
  • Alvwan,

Thanks for the reply. First, I know all that and second, saying that ODX "has no big change in Server 2016 Technical Preview" does not respond to the question. It's yes or no.

I'm not talking about the OS's capability to access and profit from ODX enabled devices but if Microsoft Storage server or all the new storage enhancement to MS STORAGE DEVICES implement ODX as "provider" of that ODX function?

To be clear, assuming a Hyper-V cluster uses MS iSCSI targets as SAN, will those support ODX?

Microsoft iSCSI target has no ODX in Windows Server 2016. Good news: some other (still free) Windows targets support ODX just fine. See:

StarWind vSAN with ODX

https://www.starwindsoftware.com/starwind-virtual-san-free

How to check if ODX really works?

https://www.starwindsoftware.com/starwind-virtual-san-how-to-check-if-odx-functions-properly

Give it a try to watch CPU usage on your client with and w/out ODX, it's pretty much the same for all ODX-capable storage.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Anton Kolomyeytsev [MVP]

StarWind Software Chief Architect

Profile:   Blog:   Twitter:   LinkedIn:  

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Sunday, July 10, 2016 9:24 PM
  • Thanks,

I knew that too. But that isn't "good news". MS is starving to add any tiny little functionality hanging around so nobody can tell that there is anything impossible with Windows Server and then, there are some nice features just coming too late. And then lots of efforts have to be deployed to convince customers to come back to "software based" this and that...

Thanks anyway for the implication.

Thomas.

• Marked as answer by Thomas M.T. _ Wednesday, February 15, 2017 9:52 AM
    Monday, July 11, 2016 7:15 AM