Rookie question: Using MS Deployment Service, how can I image a computer more than once? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm a rookie, new to this whole imaging thing. I was told that using MDS, I could not re-image a computer more than once. I tried it, and got an error message, so I assume it is true, unless I'm not setting things up correctly.  

Right now I just start MDS, save a completed image to the server, and replicate it to my other computers. I will probably have situations in the future when I need to re-image an already imaged computer.

Can I create a new image, with a new name, and then re-image the computer again?

Do I need to do anything to the original image, like sysprep, in order to be able to re-image?

I suppose what I really need is a "Dummies" book on MDS or MDT. Any ideas?

Friday, January 10, 2014 3:36 AM

Answers

• Hi,

There is no limit to the number of times Sysprep can run on a computer. However, the clock for Windows Product Activation begins its countdown the first time Windows starts.

If you anticipate running Sysprep multiple times on a single computer, you must use the SkipRearm setting in the Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC component to postpone resetting the activation clock. Because you can reset the activation clock only three times, if you run Sysprep multiple times on a computer, you might run out of activation clock resets. Microsoft recommends that you use the SkipRearm setting if you plan on running Sysprep multiple times on a computer.

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Thursday, January 23, 2014 2:49 AM
    Monday, January 13, 2014 7:50 AM