Outlook 2007 opens office attachments in Office 2010 Apps RRS feed

• Question

• We are hosting Office 2007, and Office 2010 with AppV.  Both are working fine however, when users who access Outlook 2007 open an office attachment, it will open w/ Office 2010.  I looked at the extensions, and saw that some extensions were pointing to office 2010 apps.  If i change the extension to a office 2007 app, the attachment opens with the office 2007 suite.  However, this creates a reverse situation.  If a user who is using office 2010, opens an attachment, it opens in office 2007.

How can i configure these two virtualized apps to coexist w/ each other and only open attachments within it's own suite (if i launch outlook 2007, i want to open attachments in the office 2007 suite.)

Outlook 2007 OSD file does not contain the local interaction element, however office 2010 OSD file does and was put in there in accordance w/ the office 2010 prescriptive guidance document provided by MS.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 6:52 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Only one application can set the native file extension.
    /Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, July 7, 2011 10:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Monday, January 16, 2012 3:04 PM
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:25 PM

All replies

• You'll need to hide the alternate version of Office from the other Office package. The simplest way to do that is to install Office before sequencing and uninstall it as the first step of sequencing.

For example, if you are sequencing Office 2010, you will need to first install Office 2007, then run the Office 2007 uninstall as the first step in monitoring. This could be a challenge with the Office 2010 integration pack, so you'll have to see how it goes.

Disclaimer - I have no idea whether this will work or not, but it's currently the required approach to "hide" an installed application from a virtual application. The installed application in your case will be the App-V Integration Kit for Office 2010.

However you may be coming across a clash between the "installed" Outlook 2010 (via the Integration Kit) and the virtual Office 2007. It is recommended to only use a single copy of Outlook. That is, you may need to remove Outlook from the Office 2007 package.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 9:45 PM
  • Hi Aaron, thanks for the reply.  I'm not sure if hiding the alternate version of Office applies here, and this may be my fault for not being clear.  Both Office 2007 and 2010 are hosted with AppV.  Also my sequencing machine is a VM, that gets reset before sequencing any software package.  The only software present after the system comes back up is the AppV sequencer.  Office 2007 was never present on this VM when i sequenced Office 2010.  When i was referring to file extension, i was referring to our AppV server where the applications are cached.  If I open the AppV Console, and click on the file extensions node, this is where i saw several extensions pointing Office 2010 applications.  Since Office 2007/2010 share the same file extensions, and I don't think it's possible to have 1 extension pointing to two different applications, is it even possible to have these two applications coexist on the same AppV server? 

Thursday, June 30, 2011 12:07 AM
  • Hello,

Only one application can set the native file extension.
    /Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, July 7, 2011 10:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Monday, January 16, 2012 3:04 PM
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:25 PM
  • Hi Znack, thanks for the reply.  Based on your reply, is it safe to assume that having two virtualized Office Suites is not recommended?
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 4:40 PM
  • Hello,

As always - it depends on your needs.

There are many uses cases for providing office in a native manner, in a virtualized manner or several editions of Office in a virtualized manner - depending on your specific requirements one of them may be prefered

/Znack
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 4:46 PM
  • Interesting point. Would the VRS not take presedence over the dynamically set 'native' extensions, if set to override? I think by default (certainly in 4.5 sequencer), the HKCR (HKLM\Software\Classes and HKCU\Software\Classes) child keys are set to override; I would've thought therefore any application using that VRS would only ever see the extensions configured there?
    Friday, July 1, 2011 10:00 AM