none
Locked profile does not roll back changes to screen resolution RRS feed

• Question

• My needs are simple; I need to setup a user that can change the screen resolution and  audio playback devices only in their session. When I log on as this user and change the screen resolution and audio settings, these are applied to other users. I tried restarting right from the profile (locked down by steady state) but still have no success.

setup:
    OS= Vista Ultimate
    Steady State user is Locked
    General settings for this users are only restricted to "lock profile to prevent user from making permanent changes"

Cheers,
    David
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 3:51 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Screen resolution is not a global setting in Windows.  Since it's not per-user, locking the user's profile doesn't prevent the change from persisting. 

You may be able to write a script to set the resolution to some default value, then run that script at logon and logoff.

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 6:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Screen resolution is not a global setting in Windows.  Since it's not per-user, locking the user's profile doesn't prevent the change from persisting. 

You may be able to write a script to set the resolution to some default value, then run that script at logon and logoff.

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 6:20 PM
  • Bummer! That's the only reason I installed Stead State. I got bad info from http://www.maximumpc.com/article/%5Bprimary-term%5D/how_to_protect_any_pc_using_windows_steady_state?page=0%2C2 ..."Lock Profile – This is an extremely useful feature, especially if you choose not to protect the disk in step 2. This will prevent any changes to system settings such as the wallpaper or screen resolution from being saved when the user logs out or reboots the machine." The documentation from Steady State seemed to confirm what the blog said but without specific about the screen resolution - my mistake for not looking more closely. You would think individual session screen resolution would be a common need, especially with users who are vision impared and share a PC with others, such as family members. Oh well, I'm moving on.

Thanks for the info Rob!!!
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 9:00 PM