RMS client errors with outlook RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Community

I have a Windows 7 client with office 2010 installed, we have just finished installing a new RMS forest. The problem we are having is in Outlook 2010. If I try to send a protected email with the default 'Do Not Forward' template I get "Unexpected error occurred. Please try again or contact your system administrator".

We have double checked the URLs, DNS, proxy settings to no avail, in the registry I have checked to confirm there are no registry entries to force the client to a particular RMS cluster. If I access my mailbox via Outlook Web Access I can protect the message without a problem. As the event logs are not recording any errors I have run debugviewer on the licensing and certification cluster. This has not highlighted any obvious issue.

What I have noticed on my client is nearly 20 CLC files. If I try deleting the content of the DRM folder, restart outlook and re-configure my RMS credentials the same error occurs and numerous CLC files get populated. I read another post that alluded to a potential problem here?

Any advice on how I further investigate/resolve this would really be appreciated.

Regards

Amit

Friday, January 11, 2013 1:11 AM

Answers

• Hi Amit,

have you verified that for example Word can successful protect and consume RMS protected files?

What edition of Office 2010 do you have? Office Professional 2010? And what is you server OS? Windows 2008 R2 SP1?

I am just asking because it is always nice to know the environment to a certain degree. :-)

Thank you,

Lutz

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 1:31 AM
  • I'd review the following:

1-- is the SSL cert installed in the AD RMS trusted by the client (trust root CA who issue cert and CDP/AIA accessible)

2-- can you confirm client is fully patched? I remember several issueswith OFfice 2010 RTW/SP1 that got solved installing latest fixes

Also as mentioned above testing AD RMS in other apps/using another client machine would be great to identify if problem is client or server side or both.

Cristian

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 8:14 PM
  • Yes please do also check from another PC fully patched.
    Friday, January 18, 2013 6:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Amit,

have you verified that for example Word can successful protect and consume RMS protected files?

What edition of Office 2010 do you have? Office Professional 2010? And what is you server OS? Windows 2008 R2 SP1?

I am just asking because it is always nice to know the environment to a certain degree. :-)

Thank you,

Lutz

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 1:31 AM
  • I'd review the following:

1-- is the SSL cert installed in the AD RMS trusted by the client (trust root CA who issue cert and CDP/AIA accessible)

2-- can you confirm client is fully patched? I remember several issueswith OFfice 2010 RTW/SP1 that got solved installing latest fixes

Also as mentioned above testing AD RMS in other apps/using another client machine would be great to identify if problem is client or server side or both.

Cristian

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 8:14 PM
  • @Lutz - We are using Office 2010 professional, the issue we are having occurs in both Word and Outlook. RMS is running on Windows 2008 R2 SP1.

@Cristian - Yes the SSL is from an internal PKI and trusted. Both the CDP and AIA paths are accessible for functioning correctly.

You raise a good point about patching, so I will go away and investigate this.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 9:07 AM
  • Yes please do also check from another PC fully patched.
    Friday, January 18, 2013 6:37 AM