Moving SharePoint 2007 databases from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Good Afternoon all, 

We would like to move our current SharePoint 2007 databases from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008. Our SharePoint server is running on a windows 2003 SP2 machine. The SQL server runs on a separate Windows 2003 SP2 box. Both version of SQL, 2005 and 2008, are up and running in the same SQL server. We are in preparations to upgrade SharePoint 2007 from SP1 to SP3. Before proceeding with the upgrade we thought it might be better to migrate all SharePoint databases to SQL 2008. There is a vast number of documents from different sources and it's kind of confusing since the majority of them depicts migrations from one sql 2005 server to a different 2008; we were discussing this microsoft KB (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512725(v=office.12).aspx) as the most complet information but as mentioned before there are so many documents but our case is a bit different . In my case both versions run in the same server but have different instance names. I have two main question:

1) Would it be better to migrate database before OR after upgrading Sharepoint to SP3

2) What is the best procedure/strategy to follow regarding migrating databases from sql 2005 to sql 2008 regarding our specific environment.

Thanks for help and input in advance,

Alex Alas 

Alex Alas

Friday, October 19, 2012 5:35 PM

Answers

• i don't think it matters to migrate first or to upgrade first, did you find any restriction about SharePoint 2007 service pack version and sql server version?
    anyway, the best procedure is do the migration/upgrade first in test environment, document the steps taken. and then follow the documented steps in production environment.

it would be best if you can get a virtualized environment to test migrate/upgrade, so that the configuration can be almost the same for test and production environment. You need some P2V (phisical to virtual) tools if your production system is on physical machine.

• Edited by GuYuming Monday, October 22, 2012 8:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by GuYuming Wednesday, October 24, 2012 1:24 AM
    Monday, October 22, 2012 8:02 AM

All replies

• i don't think it matters to migrate first or to upgrade first, did you find any restriction about SharePoint 2007 service pack version and sql server version?
    anyway, the best procedure is do the migration/upgrade first in test environment, document the steps taken. and then follow the documented steps in production environment.

it would be best if you can get a virtualized environment to test migrate/upgrade, so that the configuration can be almost the same for test and production environment. You need some P2V (phisical to virtual) tools if your production system is on physical machine.

• Edited by GuYuming Monday, October 22, 2012 8:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by GuYuming Wednesday, October 24, 2012 1:24 AM
    Monday, October 22, 2012 8:02 AM
  • Guyuming,

Thanks for your input, we'd try to follow your suggestion of virtualizing our production environment and test it the upgrade and then migrate to sql2008. 

I'll keep you posted for results,

Alex 

Alex Alas

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:34 PM
  • I have a question about that technet article.  In the short instruction on how to change the database server when you leave the name of the server alone, there is a step 6 which says

Start the central admin server to apply the changes and ensure that all the services, etc. are started.

I understand the second half. But what does it mean to "apply the changes"?

If the database server is the same name, then what changes need to be made?  Are they referring to sharepoint making internal changes?  Or is there some action a farm admin has to do him or herself after this change?

Thanks!

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 5:02 PM
  • i guess "the changes" means change to "services, Web sites, and application pools that are associated with Windows SharePoint Services 3.0" . Since you have changed the configuration database in the destination farm through restore, the change will be applied to IIS and services (for example, the services account) automatically.
    Wednesday, December 5, 2012 1:56 AM