none
Where does IE11 store passwords? RRS feed

• Question

• IE10 on Windows 7 would store passwords in the Credential Manager-Web Credentials section and I could launch Credential Manager from within IE10.

However, since upgrading to IE11 on Windows 7 there is no option to launch Credential Manager from within IE11 AND if I open Credential Manager there is no Web Credentials section however IE11 is saving credentials.

Where is IE11 saving website credentials and how do I manage them on Windows 7 X64 which is fully up to date?

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 12:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Tools>Manage Addons>Show all addons. find the Credential manager in the list. Enable/Disable as required.

or

Start>Credential Manager to manage your lists.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 11:07 PM
  • Ta, but if I start Credential Manager it no longer has the Web Credentials section, only has Windows Credentials but website credentials are no where to be seen.
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 9:50 AM
  • website credentials are no where to be seen.

Do you have another account you can use to show that that may be only happening to yours?  Sounds like a GPO may be in effect.

Otherwise use ProcMon to find out what is going on.  Especially if you have two cases, one working and one not, you can compare their traces for the essential differences. FWIW I just tried using ProcExp to try to find out how Credentials Manager is opened but it only ends up as a thread under explorer.exe. I'm not going to take the time to try to unravel it for you but my original idea was to launch CM as an Admin, e.g. starting it from an Administrator: Command Prompt.  Right-click on the items found by Win-w does not produce a menu.  So, if you don't find a GPO that is causing your symptom, first use ProcMon to figure out how CM is launched and duplicate that in an elevated cmd window.  Then you could compare those ProcMon traces too.  Etc.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, May 8, 2014 5:41 PM
    Answerer
  • It is occuring on 2xWindows 7 machine, one if Pro on domain and another is Home Premium which only has local standard un-editing GPO's.

Also occurring on Windows 2012.

If Microsoft have removed web credentials from Windows credential manager how are we supposed to manged said credentials?

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:15 PM