none
consuming a shared query gives "The user was not authorized" error RRS feed

• Question

• I created a query in Power Query and shared it. I was signed in with the credentials to the new Power BI site I spun up yesterday. I have tried granting permissions to "just me", "my company", and to my own account specifically.

Now when I search in Power Query, I find that shared query. When I click it, it throws the data onto the sheet and pops up the authorization dialog. I choose Microsoft Online Services ID and sign in using the same account with which I shared the query. I click Save and it gives me "The user was not authorized" error.

How can I troubleshoot?

When I click Cancel, it shows this error in place of the table of data:

[Permission Error] CredentialAccessDenied: "The credentials provided for the OData source, are invalid. Please update the credentials through a refresh or in the Data Source Settings dialog to continue. (Source at https://mysitenameishere.hybridproxy.clouddatahub.net/.)"

http://artisconsulting.com/Blogs/GregGalloway

Thursday, August 29, 2013 4:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Greg,

When you're prompted for credentials, enter the credentials required to access the OData feed from which the query pulls its data, not the credentials you use to sign on to Power BI.

When you share a query in Power BI, you're sharing only the "M" language script and the query metadata (name, description, doc url, etc.) provided during the sharing operation; you're not sharing the data. The "share with" settings apply to the shared query and its metadata, and determine who can discover the shared query via search, but do not give access to the underlying data sources.

When you find and open a shared query in Power Query, Excel will connect to the data sources used by the query, and if necessary will prompt the user for credentials to connect to that source.

Please let us know if this helps...

Matthew

Friday, August 30, 2013 2:14 PM