TaskBar notification area on multiple displays & quality of Windows 8-10 settings application RRS feed

• General discussion

• To whom it may concern,

I have two points for feedback of the Windows 10 Preview and one that is related to why I disliked Windows 8 in the first place.

First, I would really appreciate a settings control to be incorporated for displaying the notification area of the taskbar in secondary displays... see question topic "TaskBar Notification Area Multiple Screens."

Secondly, the quality of the settings application needs to be vastly improved so that it incorporates the full feature and control extent that the Windows 7 control panel had.  

I really like windows 10 preview, much better than windows 8 or 8.1. One of the main issues that turned me off from Win 8 and 8.1 was the lack of intuitive operation of the settings Application/Pane in Win 8 and 8.1. I have since gotten along just fine with the right click feature of the start icon in Win 10 to get to control panel (or the right click of the bottom left corner of the screen in Win 8 and 8.1).

Today, I somehow got into the settings application in Win 10 and noticed that it is more aesthetically pleasing than in Win 8, BUT... it still lacks the functionality that we came to expect from the control panel utility, which I grew up with in Windows 95-98, XP and 7.

Most users are not power users like people reading these forums, however from my experience, general users (via online help articles) find their way into control panel to modify certain windows features in order to carry on with day to day tasks. In other words, the functionality of the control panel is required for general users to operate their windows machine.

With the settings pane (Win 8) and now the settings windows (Win 10), it seems that Microsoft's intent was to update the aesthetics of the control panel and make certain features easier to modify. Nonetheless, the functionality of the settings application is less than the control panel. I have hardly seen an online article describing how to switch common windows 8 settings using the settings pane. Instead they still refer to the control panel in windows 8. My primary feedback is this, if Microsoft's intent is to update the look and intuitiveness of the control panel from Windows 7 to the settings application in Windows 10, it must be as functional, feature rich and control friendly (currently it is not). Otherwise, the settings application is a waste of production resources, because people (power and general users) will fall back to the control panel anyways.

My two cents,

Neddley

Thursday, February 12, 2015 8:25 PM