Server 2008 R2 Terminal Spoolsv.exe RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new Server 2008 R2 Terminal Server that spikes the CPU when users log in and their printers map.  The more network printers that are mapped for the user, the longer the spike.  All printers are network printers that are hosted on a dedicated Server 2008 R2 printer server.  Easy print is not an option, since most of our clients are thin clients that have no local printers connected to them.  These are the printer drivers being used on the print server:

HP Universal Printing PCL5, Kyocera KM-6030 KX, Kyocera Mita FS-3830N KX, HP DesignJet T1100 24in HPGL2, and Fiery X3e 22C-KM (IC-401)

All drivers are the latest and greatest from the manufacturers' websites.  The terminal server becomes unusable some mornings when multiple users are logging into it simultaneously.  I researched this pretty heavily on the internet and found many people with the same issue, but no real solutions that fix the problem...

Any ideas?

Monday, August 9, 2010 3:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Two suggestions.  First, you can try to use different drivers for the various printers to see if one or more of the drivers are the cause.  You can run tests to try to narrow it down to a particular driver.

Second, I think for your situation you should consider creating the printers as local on your Server 2008 R2.  Do not go through the print server at all.  For example, if the printer is a tcp/ip printer, create it as a local printer on the Server 2008 R2 port type standard tcp/ip port.  This is a good idea regardless because it gives you control over the precise drivers that are used in a RDS/TS environment, whereas when using the network print server approach you will use the same drivers that workstations use.  These drivers may not be fully compatible with RDS/TS.

The second option should result in less overhead.

-TP

• Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Friday, August 20, 2010 7:07 AM
    Friday, August 13, 2010 3:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Lynx,

According to your description, I understand you encounter a printer issue on Windows 2008 R2 Remote desktop server.

Since you don't want to use easy print feature, please ensure the problematic printer drivers exist on the RDS server.

Then, disable the policy "Use Terminal Services Easy Print printer driver first" which is under the path:

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Terminal Services\Terminal Server\Printer Redirection

In addition, please also check the known issue's resolution blow:

1.  On the Windows XP make sure that at least .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 1 (SP1) is installed

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 1
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=ec2ca85d-b255-4425-9e65-1e88a0bdb72a

2.  On the Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003 or Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 or Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 clients, update the Tswpfwrp.exe to a newer version such as 3.0.6920.1201 in:

946411 FIX: When you print an XPS file on a Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3-based computer, the characters in the XPS file print incorrectly
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=946411

or the latest which is in:

954744 FIX: Some pages are printed in the incorrect orientation when you use Terminal Services Easy Print to print a document that contains both portrait-oriented pages and landscape-oriented pages
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=954744

3.  On the RDS/DC server you might also want to make sure your permissions are set properly per:

968605 Terminal Server Easy Print not printing
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=968605  

More Information

946411 FIX: When you print an XPS file on a Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3-based computer, the characters in the XPS file print incorrectly
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=946411

954744 FIX: Some pages are printed in the incorrect orientation when you use Terminal Services Easy Print to print a document that contains both portrait-oriented pages and landscape-oriented pages
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=954744

968605 Terminal Server Easy Print not printing
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=968605

http://www.microsoft.com/PrintServer

http://blogs.msdn.com/print

http://blogs.technet.com/askperf

Hope it helps.

Sincerely,

Wilson Jia

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 7:02 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Wilson!  We actually have Printer Redirection disabled under the Remote Desktop Session Host Client Settings tab.  I disabled the policy you specified above, but it was in the following location:

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Printer Redirection\Use Remote Desktop Easy Print printer driver first

The remaining URLs you posted appear to be geared toward getting Easy Print working properly on RDP clients.  Since a majority of our network clients are thin clients with no local printing capabilities, Easy Print just is not an option....

Looks like we just have to bite the bullet and open a case with Microsoft PSS....

Thanks again for your help!

Friday, August 13, 2010 3:23 PM
  • Hi,

Two suggestions.  First, you can try to use different drivers for the various printers to see if one or more of the drivers are the cause.  You can run tests to try to narrow it down to a particular driver.

Second, I think for your situation you should consider creating the printers as local on your Server 2008 R2.  Do not go through the print server at all.  For example, if the printer is a tcp/ip printer, create it as a local printer on the Server 2008 R2 port type standard tcp/ip port.  This is a good idea regardless because it gives you control over the precise drivers that are used in a RDS/TS environment, whereas when using the network print server approach you will use the same drivers that workstations use.  These drivers may not be fully compatible with RDS/TS.

The second option should result in less overhead.

-TP

• Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Friday, August 20, 2010 7:07 AM
    Friday, August 13, 2010 3:34 PM
  • Hello Lynx1994,

i think your problem looks like my problem i have on windows 2008r2 servers.

See http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverTS/thread/5fa57c02-6b50-44e0-86d4-624fdb20e258

We have problems with hp universal printer driver. I have enabled "printer isolation" for the driver (PCL5 an PCL 6).
    Could you try to enable dirver isolation for the hp driver? Maybe this driver is also the problematic driver on your server.

I get also "inacitve service detection" messages when i connect as an administrator to a console session.

I have opened a case with Microsoft PSS. Also a case with HP. At the moment there are no news from HP, i am asking every day.

Regards

Marc

• Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Friday, August 20, 2010 7:06 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Wilson Jia Friday, August 20, 2010 7:07 AM
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 7:58 PM
  • Hello Everyone,

We are experiencing the same high CPU usage issues with 2008 R2 RDS servers in our testing phase.

We are currently testing a Windows 2008 R2 RDS Server and a 2008 (32bit) Printserver environment, and are very happy with the 2008 Print server and the management options.

Sadly, printer connection via VBS Script creates high CPU usage on the RDS Server, and we believe that the Kyocera Mita FS1020D KX 5.1.1405 driver is the culprit. We have to use that driver because of the specific tray management features we use in our company, and there is no alternativ driver offered by Kyocera.

Disabling easy print did not bring any improvement.

Hopefully there will be some more information how to solve this problem in the near future.

Thank you,

bwf

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 9:28 AM
  • Hi - I am having the same problem here - This post describes my situation (high CPU and unstable use when logging in in the morning).. I have found that quite a few services on the RDS server bomb out, programs don't respond, Outlook won't open, etc and the server needs to be rebooted when this happens to correct it.. Our existing 2003 terminal server is perfectly fine and we're continuing to use it until we get the problems worked out on the 2008 R2 RDS server.

Marc Moennikes post also describes the other related problems we are having with respect to the printer log and spooler crashes.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 5:39 PM
  • Hello,

i have found this Hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979681/en-us

Maybe somebody has experience with this hotfix? Maybe it will help...
    We will install the fix on monday.

Regards

Friday, August 27, 2010 2:20 PM
  • Hi Lynx1994, 

Have you tried to set the policy redirect only the client default printer? This is a new feature, I had this issue before and you imagine 200 users with 10 printers each on a terminal server? Why would you need to redirect all printers if users only print to their default?

This is can be done on the local security of Terminal Server under Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Terminal Services\Terminal Server\Printer Redirection

I hope this helps you

Pecora

A.I.
    • Proposed as answer by Hugo Pecora Friday, August 27, 2010 9:11 PM
    Friday, August 27, 2010 9:07 PM
  • Hello,

For peolple with HP drivers (like me):

new HP universal driver available. www.hp.com/got/upd

Version 5.1.1. has some bugfixes for Terminalserver environment.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 5:26 AM
  • Has somebody managed to download HP UPD 5.1.1? Maybe I'm missing something, but it's not so easy to get...

Thanx,
    Dawid

Friday, October 15, 2010 3:08 PM
  • Hello,

the download link seems to be broken.

When you choose "drivers and support" on hp.com and then select a printer, which is supported by UPD, you can download the driver.

The driver has resolved some problems, no more spooler-crashes

Regards

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 11:19 AM
  • Thanks Marc,

for suggestion, but turned out the HP UPD driver is no help in my case (Mac RDP and 2008 R2 RDS).

Dawid

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 1:31 PM
  • I ran into this with the HP universal pcl 5 driver, i did two things at the same time to resolve this i changed to the pcl6 driver ( it ended up working better for my printer) and in the event logs you might see something to the effect of Hp bidi interface has reported an issue. to resolve this ( which resolved my CPU spikes) was to renamed the bidi file....

32 Bit HP BiDi Channel Components Installer installs every logon

Zero-byte the MSI Installer Package, which will eliminate the symptomatic behaviors of the issue noted in this document. Complete the following steps:
    1. Open Notepad and save the file as hpzbdi32.msi or hpzbdi64.msi . This zero-byte file will not contain any data.
    2. Navigate to the %WINDOWS%\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86 (32-bit operating system) or %WINDOWS%\system32\spool\drivers\x64\3 (64-bit operating system) directory, and locate the hpzbdi32.msi or hpzbdi64.msi file. Rename the file to hpzbdi32.old or hpzbdi64.old .
    3. Copy and paste the newly created zero-byte file named hpzbdi32.msi or hpzbdi64.msi into the %WINDOWS%\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86 or x64\3 directory.
    4. Verify functionality.
    NOTE: Depending on configuration, it may be necessary to stop the spooler, perform the steps noted, and then restart the spooler.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 1:21 PM
  • Marc,

Did you get any further information from MS or HP? I want to call MS PSS but not sure if it would help.

Ivan
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 12:36 PM
  • Hello,

no response from HP. But in the meantime, we have installed the new HP UPD and now it is working better.

Regards

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 2:46 PM
  • the 5.1.1. ?

Ivan
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 9:24 AM
  • yes.

regards

Sunday, January 9, 2011 9:46 PM
  • I installed the latest universal print for HP and stopped having the problem as frequently. I had a friend who is good at crash dump analysis have another crash point to our savin universal print driver. I did away with that and installed all of the savin print drivers for the specific models in place and have been crash free for a month. I think a lot of the troubles with the print spooler point back to the print drivers being used.
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 3:48 AM
  • This worked for me! Thanks.

Nagendra

Monday, February 13, 2012 3:22 PM
  • I have the same problem.  Running RDS on 2008 R2 servers on VMware.  The Session Host (SH) servers have about 25 active connections each and are often at 100% CPU.  When printing from the SH servers to the Print Server, CPU utilization on Spoolsv.exe goes up to 40% or more just doing a test page from the driver.  This happens on most of my HP laser models.  The Savins and Ricoh's seem to be better.

Tried switching to HP Universal Print Driver 5.4 (PS, PCL5 and PCL6) - didn't help much.

Tried applying the latest hot fix http://support.microsoft.com/?id=2647753 to both the SH servers and print server - didn't help much.

Tried uninstalling SEP from the SH server and disabling it on the Print server - didn't help much.

Tried configuring the print driver directly on the SH server and avoiding the Print server - boy, did this help.  A world of difference.  When you print the same test page as above, CPU rarely gets over 5%.

Thank you for this suggestion above!  I hate to scrap the print server, but if I can't get a better solution soon, that's what I'll do.

Dave

Monday, May 28, 2012 11:52 PM