locked
Failed Install of Cumlative Update 1 for SCCM 2012 R2 RRS feed

  • Question

  • When installing Cumulative Update 1 in my test lab  (with no internet access), the setup goes fine until I get to the part where the wizard says "Create Software Update Catalog" and then it fails with an error. When I re-run the setup the wizard skips to the parts that were already updated and goes directly to the same part and fails. The failure occurs at the creation of the software update catalog.

    I have been searching the web, but have been unsuccessful in finding a solution to my problem. I am wondering if it is because my test lab does not have internet access or something permission based regarding the SCCM network access account. I am kind of at a loss right now and any assistance is greatly appreciated!

    -Tony



    Tuesday, May 27, 2014 3:23 PM

Answers

  • Ok. Here is how I worked though this problem. Essentially, I uninstalled the SCCM R2 CU1 and re-installed. Since I was unable to uninstall the cumulative update from control panel, I used a blog which describes how to uninstall a Configuration Manager cumulative update from the command prompt.

    1. Open an elevated command prompt
    2. Navigate to the folder of the cumulative update
    3. Run: CM12-R2CU1-KB2938441-x64-enu.exe /x to extract the .msi
    4. Run: MSIEXEC /X CM12-R2CU1-KB2938441-x64-enu.msi to start the uninstallation

    From here I was able reboot the server and run and complete the SCCM R2 CU1 setup without any errors.

    On a side note, I also used different downloaded copy of the cummlative update, so I am unable to determine the exact cause:

    • Corrupt original install
    • Corrupt cumulative update installer
    • Both



    --Tony
    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 5:32 PM

All replies

  • Internet access is not required and the network access account s only uses by clients.

    Have you reviewed the setup log (which should be in the root of the C drive on the site server)?


    Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

    Tuesday, May 27, 2014 6:08 PM
  • Hi Jason!

    Here is the error from the cm12-r2cu1-kb2938441-x64-enu log file located in the %windir%\temp directory. The same file  on the root of C has also has the same error. I have been searching the web for possible solutions all day, but have came up empty. Any suggestions?

    “Task ‘Create Software Update Catalog’ completed, state is ‘failed’ ExceptionText: Error: Setup detected an unexpected problem during installation. Error message: A valid file name is required.
    Parameter name: fileName

    Error: Setup detected an unexpected problem during installation. Error message:    at Microsoft.SystemCenter.UpdateSetup.SystemUtilities.CalculateSHA1Base64(String fileName)
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.UpdateSetup.Tasks.GenerateCatalog.ReplaceCommonInsertionStrings(String startText, String packageFile)
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.UpdateSetup.Tasks.GenerateCatalog.GetServerUpdateXml()
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.UpdateSetup.Tasks.GenerateCatalog.DoRun()
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.UpdateSetup.Tasks.GenericTask.RunThread(Object taskObject)”

    P.S. I just got my account approved, so I added a couple of screen shots to my original post.

    –Tony


    Tuesday, May 27, 2014 8:19 PM
  • My first hunch is that the update did not download correctly. I would try re-downloading and validating the hash on the file and then execute it again.

    Also, have you reviewed the application event log for any correlating events?

    Finally, are you running this in an RDP session? If so, try using the console session.


    Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 12:57 AM
  • Just out of curiosity. During the prerequisite check whether it's showed as reboot pending? I've seen this before after the restart it started working. 

    Anoop C Nair (My Blog www.AnoopCNair.com) - Twitter @anoopmannur - FaceBook Forum For SCCM

    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 4:10 AM
  • Hi Anoop!

    Thanks for chiming in. The prerequisite check is showing a clean bill of health. I went ahead and gave the server a reboot and tried again anyway, but the behavior is the same.

    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 1:57 PM
  • Hi Jason

    Thanks for the suggestions. I downloaded the SCCM R2 CU1 and copied it over to my (internet-less) test lab, and I had the exact same behavior.

    I did check the application event log, and found the following error:

    I dug a little deeper and checked the WCM.log located c:\program files\Microsoft configuration manager\logs to find this:

    I am pretty confident this is happening because my test lab has no internet access, and I have turned on a SUP. However, I don't believe this related to the problems I am having installing SCCM's R2 CU1. Thoughts?

    Lastly, my test lab is completely virtualized, and I have been using the console connection through vSphere instead of remote desktop. 

    --Tony

    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 3:25 PM
  • Ok. Here is how I worked though this problem. Essentially, I uninstalled the SCCM R2 CU1 and re-installed. Since I was unable to uninstall the cumulative update from control panel, I used a blog which describes how to uninstall a Configuration Manager cumulative update from the command prompt.

    1. Open an elevated command prompt
    2. Navigate to the folder of the cumulative update
    3. Run: CM12-R2CU1-KB2938441-x64-enu.exe /x to extract the .msi
    4. Run: MSIEXEC /X CM12-R2CU1-KB2938441-x64-enu.msi to start the uninstallation

    From here I was able reboot the server and run and complete the SCCM R2 CU1 setup without any errors.

    On a side note, I also used different downloaded copy of the cummlative update, so I am unable to determine the exact cause:

    • Corrupt original install
    • Corrupt cumulative update installer
    • Both



    --Tony
    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 5:32 PM