none
Computers freezing since updating to Windows 10 1909 RRS feed

• Question

• In the organisation, we have been on windows 10 since update 1607, from 1607 up until 1803 we had no issues with Windows 10 itself.

We have recently began updating our estate to Windows 10 1909 and on some (not all) of the machines on 1909, I keep encountering issues where users machines are completely freezing, there is no way you can get the machine working again, Ctrl + Alt + Delete does nothing and it can only be resolved by switching off and back on.

When looking into the issue, there are no events in the event log, and no trace of any issues from the time when it crashes.

I have tried a vast amount of fixes, ruling out external hardware such as docking stations etc.. i have ensured all drivers are up to date/Bios updated etc and there seems to be no obvious cause.

Has anyone had an issue like this before since updating to 1909?

I will also add that the issue only happens on computers with 4GB or less of RAM, when adding more than 4GB RAM the issue stops occurring.

Tuesday, January 28, 2020 8:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, it would be related with RAM size.
    Please check how much RAM is used and which process uses much RAM in Task Manager.
    [Ctrl] + [Shift] + [Esc] -- Task Manager

If you can find some process using much RAM in [Startup], please try to stop/disable it.

Regards,

Ashidacchi -- http://hokusosha.com

Wednesday, January 29, 2020 3:38 AM
  • Hi,  

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.  

If the reply helped you, please remember to mark it as an answer. 

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 30, 2020 6:31 AM
  • Unfortunately since this comment, circumstances have changed a little bit aswell.

So a few machines with 8GB of RAM have also been experiencing these crashes, which puts my RAM theory out of the equasion.

Thursday, January 30, 2020 12:41 PM
  • Im having the same issue , after i updated to 1909 my windows is crashing constantly is so annoying . I thought it was a hard drive problem since every time my pc booted my hard disk was working at 100% all the time . 

I googled for a solution , what i did was to disable Windows search services and it kinda improve a little bit this problem but is still crashing , i need to reboot my Pc like 4 times before i can use it correctly.

My specs are , cpu Amd A4 6300 apu , 6gb ram , 250gb HDD.

Someone please provide a solution for this.

Thursday, January 30, 2020 12:45 PM
  • Hi Akshay

Regarding your issue, do you get anything in event viewer or is it a complete system freeze with no logs like myself?

I'd be interested in comparing installed software with you to try and get to the bottom of whether it is related to software incompatibility.

Thursday, January 30, 2020 1:40 PM
  • I would check reliability monitor to narrow down what is causing the failures.

SCCM Admin

Wednesday, February 5, 2020 2:02 PM