none
AD RMS Role Service configuration failure with 'Some or all identity references could not be translated.' RRS feed

  • Question

  • I see there are several threads concerning the error message 'Some or all identity references could not be translated' but all are related to SharePoint. This is NOT related to SharePoint.

    I am merely trying to configure the Active Directory Rights Management Service immediately after adding the role to my Windows 2012 Server.

    My install account is a Domain Administrator. The SQL Server I am pointing to is on the local box. I can connect to the local SQL server and make a new database manually (just to prove my account has the permission). I have a new domain account (svcADRM) that I am specifying for the RM service account. IIS is running on the local box. There are 3 websites defined on the local box (HTTP80, HTTP809, and MyWebsite). This server is running the Office Web Documents service and provides the web translation services for SharePoint 2013 farm.

    I am choosing to use Crypto Level 1, to use AD RMS Centrally Managed Key Storage, to use SSL with a self-signed certificate, to use the local machine FQDN as the endpoint (https : win-12srv-sp13d.acme.com), and to register the SCP now.

    The installation of the role itself completes with a "success" message. It's the configuration that fails with the above message. How do I troubleshoot this? One would think it is a common error yet there is very little information about it online. So, either a) not many people are trying to use this or, b) there is something very unique about my situation.

    I appreciate any help someone might provide. Hopefully, I can get this going as the technology looks very interesting and useful to us.

    Thursday, February 27, 2014 10:06 PM

Answers

  • Well, I guess if you want something done right, as the saying goes.... :)

    I was able to fix this by making a new website in IIS on port 8000 and choosing a new port for SSL during the AD RMS configuration. I did not create a binding in IIS for SSL. I allowed the AD RMS wizard do that. I also did not create the App Pool for the new web site. I let the New Website wizard in IIS do that, too.

    Also, I removed one, unused App Pool but I do not think that had anything to do with it. Just putting that out there as something I decided to do after reading other seemingly (hmm) unrelated posts about this same error message.

    Hope this helps someone. 

    • Marked as answer by Golfarama Monday, March 3, 2014 3:45 PM
    Monday, March 3, 2014 3:45 PM

All replies

  • Well, I guess if you want something done right, as the saying goes.... :)

    I was able to fix this by making a new website in IIS on port 8000 and choosing a new port for SSL during the AD RMS configuration. I did not create a binding in IIS for SSL. I allowed the AD RMS wizard do that. I also did not create the App Pool for the new web site. I let the New Website wizard in IIS do that, too.

    Also, I removed one, unused App Pool but I do not think that had anything to do with it. Just putting that out there as something I decided to do after reading other seemingly (hmm) unrelated posts about this same error message.

    Hope this helps someone. 

    • Marked as answer by Golfarama Monday, March 3, 2014 3:45 PM
    Monday, March 3, 2014 3:45 PM
  • Thank you for the Solution. I had the same Problem.
    Monday, March 7, 2016 9:36 AM