Windows 7 Slow Transfer of Large Files To USB Drive RRS feed

• Question

• I get speeds of 7-12MB/sec to my USB 2 Drive on Windows 7. I recall speeds of around 80MB/sec on Windows XP or is that my memory going sour.  I have several USB 2 Drives and all seem to be slow. I don't remember them being that slow on Windows XP though its been about a year since I upgraded.

To increase the speed I turned off "Windows Search Service" and "Remove Differential Compression" according to advice found on the net.

My Specs

• Windows 7 Ultimate with all latest Update
    • Powerful PC with 16GB or Ram (Don't really know specs in detail)
    • USB Drives are all USB 2 with different Makers. None of them have fragmentation and all formatted with NTFS.
    • Drive Policies are set to "Better Performance" instead of "Quick Removal"

Is there anything else I could do to increase transfer speed.

Thanks

• Edited by TimidWriter Thursday, September 6, 2012 10:02 PM
    Thursday, September 6, 2012 9:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

To troubleshoot the issue, please also try the following steps.

1. Upgrade the Chipset driver and Motherboard driver.

2. Reinstall USB Controllers

Reinstall USB controllers

====================

Note: If you are using a USB mouse, please follow the "Use the Keyboard" steps to reinstall USB controllers. Windows 7 will reinstall all controllers automatically after restarting your computer.

Use the Mouse

--------------

First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1. Click "Start", type "Device Manager" (without the quote) in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

Use the Keyboard

-----------------

First, please disconnect all USB devices. Then, go through the following steps:

1. Press "Ctrl + Esc" to open the Start Menu.

2. Type Device Manager in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

3. In Device Manger, press Tab and use "Up" and "Down" to move the highlight to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

4. Press "Right" and expand it.

5. Press "Down" to move to the first item and press "Delete" to remove it.

6. Repeat the step 5 and uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by TimidWriter Monday, September 10, 2012 4:33 PM
    Monday, September 10, 2012 9:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

To troubleshoot the issue, please also try the following steps.

1. Upgrade the Chipset driver and Motherboard driver.

2. Reinstall USB Controllers

Reinstall USB controllers

====================

Note: If you are using a USB mouse, please follow the "Use the Keyboard" steps to reinstall USB controllers. Windows 7 will reinstall all controllers automatically after restarting your computer.

Use the Mouse

--------------

First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1. Click "Start", type "Device Manager" (without the quote) in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

Use the Keyboard

-----------------

First, please disconnect all USB devices. Then, go through the following steps:

1. Press "Ctrl + Esc" to open the Start Menu.

2. Type Device Manager in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

3. In Device Manger, press Tab and use "Up" and "Down" to move the highlight to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

4. Press "Right" and expand it.

5. Press "Down" to move to the first item and press "Delete" to remove it.

6. Repeat the step 5 and uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by TimidWriter Monday, September 10, 2012 4:33 PM
    Monday, September 10, 2012 9:10 AM
  • Thank you updating the Motherboard Drivers seem to have done the trick. I now get 60-80MB/sec  :D
    Monday, September 10, 2012 4:35 PM
  • Also, look into the USB drive's Properties/Hardware tab/Properties/Policies tab/Removal policy. The default in Windows7 appears to be "Quick removal".  XP was similar to "Better performance" (also need to "Safely Remove Hardware" with this policy).

FMI look at Ronnie Vernon's answer in "Safely Remove Hardware, is it needed anymore with SD Cards and USB thumbdrives?"

-Paul

Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:31 PM