none
Windows7 fails to start after deployment on a modern machine RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I still need to deploy Windows 7.

Few month ago I got DELL machines that came with support of Windows 7.

To make work my image after deployment I disabled Secure boot and enabled Legacy support in BIOS.

I thought that it was the last batch for Windows 7...

Last week I received another one for Windows 7 ,this time - Lenovo ThinkCenter M710Q.

I can deploy the image but it fails on first Windows Start and restarts in loop...

I set everything for Legacy. Tried different combinations... no luck.

See plz a screenshot. Don't think that something could be done on MDT.

May be some ideas for help...

Thanks.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

• Edited by pob579 Friday, April 26, 2019 3:29 PM
    Friday, April 26, 2019 3:28 PM

Answers

• I believe them telling you there is no downgrade option is just a license issue. In your task sequence make sure you are formatting the drive for legacy and not UEFI. Other than that its probably a driver issue. Does Lenovo have a BIOS option to set so the system does not reboot on error? That would give you a chance to view the error details.
    • Marked as answer by pob579 Thursday, May 9, 2019 5:41 PM
    Friday, May 3, 2019 9:50 PM
  • I just noticed you're trying to deploy Windows 7 to a NVMe drive. Did you update your reference image with Update to add native driver support in NVM Express in Windows 7

Had you tried adding in the NVMe support I mentioned earlier? Not that it matters now, but Windows 7 would need it for the hardware setup you were trying to image. Anyway I'm glad they were reasonable. With less than a year to go on support, no one should be deploying Windows 7 anymore. Time to move forward.

Daniel Vega

• Edited by Dan_Vega Thursday, May 9, 2019 2:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by pob579 Thursday, May 9, 2019 3:02 PM
    Thursday, May 9, 2019 2:56 PM

All replies

• What is the order of your boot sequence? Ensure that your hard drive is enabled as a boot option. Even if it is disabled as a boot option, you can deploy an image to it. It just won't boot to it and will reboot into MDT.
    Friday, April 26, 2019 6:56 PM
  • > I can deploy the image but it fails on first Windows Start and restarts in loop...

I can see Windows7 logo after reboot. Yes it boots to W7 but fails. Sure first boot device is HD and the name (Samsung) appears in BIOS.

Something going on. I called for fun to Lenovo. They confirmed that the system does not support downgrade.

At the same time the client may select during purchase W7 or W10.

I guess that no downgrade option indicates the problem.

They may have some specific drivers in their original image when supply this model with W7.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Monday, April 29, 2019 12:31 PM
  • We ran into a bunch of issues with the m910 series, mostly related to the latest manufacturing cycle and the M.2 drive they put in.  Here is what we had to do:

- Make sure everything is the latest version, boot media and deployment share.  A difference in version between the boot media and deployment share cause a failure after reboot where the task sequence never continues.

- Latest drivers from Lenovo site, including Win10 drivers for the WinPE image

- Boot using the 64 bit WinPE file only.  32 bit refused to accept any driver for the new hardware and Lenovo does not supply Win10 x32 drivers to use.  In my case I have a custom USB boot device where I had to rename the LiteTouchx64.wim to LiteTouchx86.wim to make it work.  

This will limit you to 64 bit images only.

Monday, April 29, 2019 1:18 PM
  • Hi Calash_nec,

I did:

1. added Lenovo model to Winpe 64 in MDT (we have only w7 64). Imported winpe W10 drivers for the model in question.

2. updated DS (new drivers were injected to Wiinpe.

3. on WDS replaced previous boot image with a newly created

4. adjusted bios on machine to auto but Legacy First.

See pics...

Unfortunately, the same negative result during deployment... on first reboot Window logo appears and than fail.

Do you have something else to suggest?

Thanks.

• Edited by pob579 Tuesday, April 30, 2019 2:11 PM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2019 2:10 PM
  • Before you lose more time with this, does the place you work for know that Windows 7 has 7 months of support left and your'e going to have to upgrade or reimage these machines in a few months? Stick to Legacy if you must deploy Windows 7.

As for your drivers, the picture doesn't tell me much because your Task Sequence is what matters in determining what drivers are injected. The value of DriverGroup001 is what tells MDT which drivers to inject.

It might look like this:

As for your WinPE driver structure, it shouldn't look like that for WinPE. All PE drivers should just be together. Also unless you're deploying Windows 8, don't use WinPE 5.0 drivers. It should be WinPE 10 for Windows 10 deployments.

If you're using this guide MDT 2013 Lite Touch Driver Management then replace any reference of Windows 8 with Windows 10 and WinPE 5.0 with WinPE 10. Your WinPE drivers just need to be storage and network. Dell makes nice packs like this - WinPE 10 driver pack

Daniel Vega

• Edited by Dan_Vega Wednesday, May 1, 2019 3:23 PM
    Wednesday, May 1, 2019 3:22 PM
  • > Before you lose more time with this, does the place you work for know that Windows 7 has 7 months of support left and your'e going to have to upgrade or reimage these machines in a few months? Stick to Legacy if you must deploy Windows 7.

Of course they know... I have 8456 ready for Windows 10.

> As for your drivers, the picture doesn't tell me much because your Task Sequence is what matters in determining what drivers are injected

the correct driver pack for the model in question is imported in Out of box structure that supports 20+ models.

During deployment I see that drivers are injected.

> As for your WinPE driver structure, it shouldn't look like that for WinPE. All PE drivers should just be together. Also unless you're deploying Windows 8, don't use WinPE 5.0 drivers. It should be WinPE 10 for Windows 10 deployments.

I used folder structure in WinPe in the past for 2 models and it worked fine.

In my mind it is just easy to wipe then out if they create a problem.

Say truth I didn't feel it necessary at all to use WinPe drivers for this latest Lenovo model because there was no issue with network boot and deployment. As initially mentioned my problem is that it crashes after first reboot. I guess WinPe is not involved at all after first reboot.

I added it just because the first responder strongly suggested to upgrade boot image that I understood helped him with similar Lenovo model. 

Friday, May 3, 2019 12:53 PM
  • I just noticed you're trying to deploy Windows 7 to a NVMe drive. Did you update your reference image with Update to add native driver support in NVM Express in Windows 7

It would be more helpful if you could post a link to your BDD.log to see what's going on during deployment. It'll show what drivers are being injected and how.

You probably already have it but just in case here's a link to the driver pack for that model Packages For Windows 7 (64-bit) - ThinkCentre Systems

Daniel Vega

Friday, May 3, 2019 1:37 PM
  • If you're unfamiliar with building a Windows 7 reference image with some hotfixes added, then follow this guide: Back to Basics - Building a Windows 7 SP1 Reference Image using MDT 2013

Daniel Vega

Friday, May 3, 2019 1:40 PM
  • Dan,

I will deploy one right now for getting a log... may be you'll find something for making work this thing...

Can you confirm that WinPE is not involved at all if I have no issues with booting up and run the deployment.

Thx.

Friday, May 3, 2019 2:00 PM
  • If WinPE were your problem then it either wouldn't be able to access the network or format the drive. That's why WinPE only needs network and storage drivers. That is all it does, it connects to the deployment share and needs to access the drive to format and apply the image. After that its job is done and then it is up to the OS to boot and continue the task sequence.

Daniel Vega

Friday, May 3, 2019 2:13 PM
  • I believe them telling you there is no downgrade option is just a license issue. In your task sequence make sure you are formatting the drive for legacy and not UEFI. Other than that its probably a driver issue. Does Lenovo have a BIOS option to set so the system does not reboot on error? That would give you a chance to view the error details.
    • Marked as answer by pob579 Thursday, May 9, 2019 5:41 PM
    Friday, May 3, 2019 9:50 PM
  • gregw2,

I completely agree with your opinion...

So the whole winpe suggestion is not related to my issue. I did it just because that it was stated kind of it helped to similar model.

Friday, before leaving I was thinking exactly the same what you are talking about...

I am pretty sure that in TS the formatting is for Legacy option. I use this TS for years without touching anything but OS path when updating a new updated capture WIM.

So we are closer and hope I will make it work. The only thing for failure after first reboot is a driver.

I took a quick look on injected drivers date imported from Lenovo's driver pack. It is old heck... most of them are 2015, 2016 and even some shows 1970... 

So, I downloaded individual drivers for Windows 7 for the model in question.  After removing all from jurassic park Driver pack, I added usb, video and net to start. Unfortunately, chipset driver package .exe not contains .inf. 

So could not be injected. Before leaving Friday I did a test with a hope that it will work but it failed with the same failure screen (don't think there is an error code), just general screen of failure. I will double check it tomorrow. And I think that the failure could be really related to chipset driver missed.

So need to identify what is first necessary driver to resolve the failure issue then add others.

I will try to remove all drivers. May be video causing the failure... Will bring an update.

Thanks for your input.

Monday, May 6, 2019 12:33 AM
  • Here are result of my final testing. See some screenshots...

1. As mentioned I never adjusted task sequence for my Windows 7 (64) for creation of UEFI partition.

And all during last years this task sequence was used for machines with use BIOS boot priority defined.

So UEFI notion I guess could be excluded from troubleshooting.

2. In order to concentrate on driver issue during windows startup I removed ALL the drivers from out of box for the model in question beside Net only. And I can see it is the only one injected during deployment (don't think that it cause failure.

On pics you can see the failure screen... yes I deploy French OS. The screen is just Windows errors with general bla bla (no error code) and in English it is the same screen when window fails to startup...

there are options for Safe mode, Safe mode command prompt and etc. Nothing particular. But usually it's indicates driver issue.

Any thoughts at this point? I don't think that bdd.log will tell something because it is really Windows thing.

So the issue: after first reboot windows going to loop restarts after trying to startup and going to Windows Errors screen.

• Edited by pob579 Monday, May 6, 2019 1:00 PM
    Monday, May 6, 2019 12:58 PM
  • The question is solved.

I just brought to attention of management that this system doesn't support Windows 7 deployment...

And they easily accepted that :)... all understand that W10 knocking long time ago.

For technical part of the story... Finally I removed all the drivers from injection and the heck fails with the same screen.

My image is clean (captured from VM, so no drivers added). And I conclude that if it fails something is really wrong between hardware and W7.

As Lenovo told the system is not downgradable. But could be purchased with W7.

Could be they adjust their image for the hardware.

Thanks for ideas.

Thursday, May 9, 2019 2:45 PM

Had you tried adding in the NVMe support I mentioned earlier? Not that it matters now, but Windows 7 would need it for the hardware setup you were trying to image. Anyway I'm glad they were reasonable. With less than a year to go on support, no one should be deploying Windows 7 anymore. Time to move forward.

Daniel Vega

• Edited by Dan_Vega Thursday, May 9, 2019 2:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by pob579 Thursday, May 9, 2019 3:02 PM
    Thursday, May 9, 2019 2:56 PM
  • Dan, no I didn't try this... and really didn't have time to deal with image update for this .

So, it is very possible that it was that.

Thanks.

Thursday, May 9, 2019 3:02 PM