Sharepoint Server moved to new domain: how to get site acces? RRS feed

• Question

• This server was previously a member server to a SBS2003 server.

The SBS2003 server has been retired and I have SBS2008 running on a new server, new domain.

In my ignorance I removed the member server from the domain and joined the workgroup TEST.

Connected the server to the SBS2008 network and joined it to the domain.

So far so good.

Now, when I attempt to get to my sharepoint site there is a permission problem. With hindsight this is no surprise as the user names have changed from the old domain to the new domain.

How do I get access again?

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 6:49 PM

Answers

• I think I need to clarify further what I did with the Sharepoint Server.

The original configuration was SBS2003  (domain1) with a member server Server 2008 Sharepoint Server. That all worked.

I joined the workgroup TEST at the member server, and then shut it down.

Installed SBS2008 and a new server with domain2, and got that up and running.

Now I powered up the member server, connected it to the network and then joined it to domain2.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 3:48 PM

All replies

•  

If you change the domains you need to execute this command for each user: stsadm -o migrateuser

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262141(v=office.12).aspx

If you want to update your farm account you have this command: stsadm -o updatefarmcredentials -userlogin DomainName\UserName -password NewPassword http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934838

For me is not very clear how have you migrated you environment from SBS2003 to SBS2008

MCITP|MCTS SharePoint| SharePoint Performance blog

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 8:05 PM
  • I devised an abandon 'all' migration.

Server SBS2003:

1. export client mailboxes, copy all needed data files, shut it down

2. member server with Sharepoint 2007: remove from domain

new Server SBS2008:

1. new domain, new user names, new mailboxes; import client mailboxes

2. join member server with Sharepoint 2007

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 9:01 PM
  • Hi,

Execute STSADM -o Migrateuser command.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 2:06 AM
  • I get "access denied" with or without the -ignoresidhistory when I execute stsadm -o migrate user.

Tried it on two users.

I found this:

To resolve this issue, you must use the MigrateUser tool to add the new user account to SharePoint. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. On the server that is running SharePoint, click Start, click All Programs, and then click Accessories.
    2. Right-click Command Prompt, click Run as Administrator, and then click Yes.
    3. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER: 
      stsadm.exe -o migrateuser -oldlogin <var>Domain name</var>\<var>Old user name </var>-newlogin <var>Domain name</var>\<var>New user name </var>–ignoresidhistory
      Important Run this command only on user accounts that are in the same domain. Otherwise, you may experience permission problems.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982949

I have two different domains. Any suggestions?

• Edited by wvmstr Wednesday, March 7, 2012 3:38 PM
    Wednesday, March 7, 2012 3:30 PM
  •  

MCITP|MCTS SharePoint| SharePoint Performance blog

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 3:34 PM
  • I think I need to clarify further what I did with the Sharepoint Server.

The original configuration was SBS2003  (domain1) with a member server Server 2008 Sharepoint Server. That all worked.

I joined the workgroup TEST at the member server, and then shut it down.

Installed SBS2008 and a new server with domain2, and got that up and running.

Now I powered up the member server, connected it to the network and then joined it to domain2.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 3:48 PM