Windows server 2012 “replicating the Schema directory partition” for 12 hours + , whats going on? RRS feed

• Question

• Adding a domain tree in windows server 2012 to a existing forest which has a functional level of 2008R2.

For 12hours+ on the active directory installation wizard it has been "Replicating the Schema directory partition" what to do next?

There are no errors in event viewer ?

Friday, August 2, 2013 7:20 AM

Answers

• thanks all

found the issue was resolved with

Trick used:in local host file , i have make entry of IP Address with hostname and hostname FQDN of Root Domain Controller( Parent DC).

taken from http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/2b1e840c-c2b2-49a7-942a-8e07e25308e3/event-1908-could-not-find-the-domain-controller-for-this-domain

• Marked as answer by topcat07 Friday, August 2, 2013 12:43 PM
    Friday, August 2, 2013 12:43 PM

All replies

• What does the dcpromo.log show?

Regards, Vik Singh "If this thread answered your question, please click on "Mark as Answer"

Friday, August 2, 2013 8:49 AM
  • Can you ensure that the required ports are still open?

And that the other DC is still reachable.

This can also be due to network issues such as packet sizes and filtering, so you may want to ensure these things are not in place.

• Edited by GSS1 Friday, August 2, 2013 8:51 AM Addition
    Friday, August 2, 2013 8:49 AM
  • thanks all

found the issue was resolved with

Trick used:in local host file , i have make entry of IP Address with hostname and hostname FQDN of Root Domain Controller( Parent DC).

taken from http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/2b1e840c-c2b2-49a7-942a-8e07e25308e3/event-1908-could-not-find-the-domain-controller-for-this-domain

• Marked as answer by topcat07 Friday, August 2, 2013 12:43 PM
    Friday, August 2, 2013 12:43 PM
  • Hello,

modifying the host file is normally NOT recommended and also NOT mentioned ion the Microsoft article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2737935/en-us

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Sunday, August 4, 2013 3:59 PM
  • Hi All,

I have a similar issue while adding a new tree Domain to an existing Server 2012 R2 Forest. In my case the solution is to open the Firewall for IP 94.245.121.253, 94.245.121.254, 157.56.144.215, 157.56.106.189, 157.56.106.190 Port 3544 which seams to be Microsoft IP addresses.

I have not activated the customer improvement program on any Microsoft Software installed in my Company.

After allowing this the Schema replication was done in minutes.

It is also very interesting that after the DC was promoted successfully it never again tries to Access one of those IP addresses.

Maybe any one of you know why this has to be done.

regards,

Sven Richter

Thursday, November 28, 2013 9:42 AM
  • in my case i just join server to domain and then has install AD DS as Tree Domain
    Sunday, April 19, 2015 12:48 PM
  • The right way is

• Add the host to your DC as a WS i.e. Join the parent domain
    • Install AD DS role
    • Run dcpromo and promote the server as a child domain controller

yup

• Proposed as answer by BernhardF Friday, September 18, 2015 12:53 PM
    Sunday, July 5, 2015 5:20 PM
  • The right way is

• Install AD DS role

yup

This way worked fine for me!

Thanks a lot!

Friday, September 18, 2015 12:54 PM
  • I just had these exact symptoms in a 2012 R2 test lab, adding a new child domain and DC on a separate VLAN/subnet.  I didn't want to join it to the domain first because that seems unnecessary, in fact if you do join it one of the first things the dcpromo process does is remove it from the domain.  That did solve my problem, however.

Wiresharking it there were no real obvious clues (ports blocked or anything), but I finally followed up on the repeated broadcast queries for a workgroup with the Netbios name for my primary domain (JOE).  There was no machine on the new VLAN/subnet that was using that Netbios name yet, so no Computer Browser service responded to it.

My resolution was to install WINS on the primary DC, have it register with itself, add that IP as a WINS server on the new Child DC, confirm that they both added records for their computernames and workgroup/domain Netbios names to the WINS database, and the dcpromo was immediately successful.

I probably could have moved the new DC temporarily over to the same VLAN/subnet as my other DC's, or found some other way for the Computer Browser service to resolve the primary domain Netbios name.  I did make a stab it it with LMHOSTS but was unsuccessful.

This NETBIOS domain name resolution requirement should be added to the dcpromo process and prerequisites check.

Saturday, September 10, 2016 10:30 PM
  • The right way is

• Install AD DS role

yup

Thank you BernhardF, it just worked like a charm..!! :)

Rgrds, Muthu.G / Uganda.

Friday, November 10, 2017 4:37 PM
  • Hello!

Try this http://www.tune-it.ru/web/fender/blog/-/blogs/an-error-occured-while-trying-to-configure-this-machine-as-a-domain-controller

Thanks!

Wednesday, September 5, 2018 12:48 PM