MS Sidewinder X6 problem on Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I just got my sidewinder X6 yesterday. It works fine on my XP laptop with every function working but not on my Windows 7 64-bits desktop.

Basically none of the top keys is functioning except for the brightness knob . I can only use the keyboard for normal typing, but not my media keys, volume knob, mode switching key, cruise control key etc.

I have tried to install driver from CD provided with the X6 as well as from microsoft website. Installed IntelliType 6.3 and 7.0 on my desktop and didnt work too.

As far as i concerned, most people are having problem with the volume knob but not almost the keys having problems like me. Is there any other setting to be done to activate my function keys ?

Please help . Thanks
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 8:15 AM

Answers

• Hey guys ! i got my keyboard working.

I went to Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Devices and Printers -> Right Click Microsoft Sidewinder X6 and select 'Troubleshoot'.

Then it stated that there's no driver installed for the keyboard (thou i have installed it with Windows 7 x64 driver) and i chosen 'Fix It'. After some time i was told that driver was installed and my keyboard runs perfectly !

Thanks everyone who gave me help on this !

Cheers
    • Marked as answer by kevinphuah88 Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:32 AM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:32 AM

All replies

• Hi kevinphuah88,

First, I would like to confirm if we select the correct device version when installing driver.

Then, we can check the keyboard settings in Control Panel -> keyboard. Please configure if Key Settings are correct. For detailed information, please refer to Microsoft SideWinder X6 Keyboard

At last, the functions can be blocked by third party programs or services. If the issue persists, I suggest checking the result in Clean Boot mode.

Perform Clean Boot mode
    ===================
    1. Click the Start Button, type MSCONFIG in the Search Bar and Press Enter to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click the Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray).
    3. Click the Startup tab, click Disable All and click OK.
    4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is just a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can enable them later on. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click OK.

To restore the computer to use a Normal Startup, repeat step 1 above. Then click "Normal Startup" on the General tab, click "OK", and then restart the computer.

Thanks,
    Candice

Monday, September 21, 2009 7:20 AM
  • Hi Candice,

I have tried what you have stated step by step but no luck, its still not functioning.

Basically i can only use it for normal typing, all my other extra functions keys are not working except for brightness knob.

Thanks for your help anyway. Cheers

Is there anyone who encountered the same problem before and has solution for it ?  :)
    Monday, September 21, 2009 8:22 AM
  • Hi kevinphuah88,

Sorry to hear that the issue persists after trying the above steps. As the keyboard worked fine in Windows XP, we can try using the XP drivers and install them in Compatibility Mode on Windows 7. Here are the instructions.

Right click the driver installation file and select Properties/Compatibility Tab. Select "Windows XP (SP2)" or "Windows XP (SP3)".

Click Apply/OK.

Right click the file and select the Run As Administrator option to install.

Does the keyboard work fine now?

Hope the above information is useful for you. :)

Good luck!
    Candice

Monday, September 21, 2009 8:36 AM
  • No luck once again. I tried to install Windows XP (SP2 and 3) and Vista (SP1 and SP2).
    p/s: I did not restart my desktop right after i installed every service pack.

Come to the worst i'll probably reformat my Windows 7 see how it goes if i don't get to solve it out.
    Monday, September 21, 2009 9:32 AM
  • There is Win 7 Intellitype Pro x64 software here. Uninstall any previous versions and install this.

What is the result?
    ASUS P4PE-P4 Extreme 3.4gHz-2gb G.Skill PC3200-XPSP3:55gb-Win7RC:17gb-DATA:500gb-ASUS N6800GT
    Monday, September 21, 2009 11:12 AM
  • Nope. I have tried to install it but not working too..  sigh.. thanks for helping anyway. :)
    Monday, September 21, 2009 11:35 AM
  • sometime these types of keyboards are really a pain. While Windows 7 is running, unplug the keyboard. ( It is usb, correct?) Then, reconnect it to the same port and let Win 7 find and install it. Don't change the port that it is connected to as that can sometimes cause an issue.

ASUS P4PE-P4 Extreme 3.4gHz-2gb G.Skill PC3200-XPSP3:55gb-Win7RC:17gb-DATA:500gb-ASUS N6800GT
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 5:37 PM
  • Hi kevinphuah88,

Let us try removing all previous driver and installing 7.0 64-bit driver again from here (Microsoft Official website). Please note: Don't reboot before installing as Windows will install driver automatically when rebooting.

If the issue persists, I recommend restarting the "Human interface device access" service. For your reference, I include the detailed steps below:

Start Human interface device access service
    =====================================
    1. Please click the Start Button, type "services " (without quotation marks) in the "Start Search" box and press Enter.
    2. In the right pane, please double click Human interface device access service.
    3. On the "General" tab, change the "Startup Type" to "Automatic" and click Apply.
    4. Click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start this service.

Thanks,
    Candice :)

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 3:06 AM
  • Hi Nano Warp and Candice Wang,

I have tried both possible solutions but keyboard's function keys are still not working.

Thanks again for the help anyway.

But there's an issue, my windows crashes(not responding)
    1. when i was trying to update my keyboard driver by selecting 'Search automatically for updated driver software' in my keyboard properties.
    2. when i was trying to let my keyboard install the device itself after i plugged in my keyboard without installing the keyboard driver in my Windows 7.

Do these errors lead to some clues ?
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:26 AM
  • Hey guys ! i got my keyboard working.

I went to Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Devices and Printers -> Right Click Microsoft Sidewinder X6 and select 'Troubleshoot'.

Then it stated that there's no driver installed for the keyboard (thou i have installed it with Windows 7 x64 driver) and i chosen 'Fix It'. After some time i was told that driver was installed and my keyboard runs perfectly !

Thanks everyone who gave me help on this !

Cheers
    • Marked as answer by kevinphuah88 Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:32 AM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:32 AM
  • Hi Kevinphuah88.

I did have the same problem, so i saw this forum and tried to fix it, and i succeded. =)

Right click on computer and go to Device Manager, locate your keyboard and update the drivers:) Its that easy, apperently.

Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:48 PM