none
Group Projects with their Sub Projects together in Project Centre... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

Is it possible to group a Project with its Sub Projects in Project Centre (ideally I'd like to use the Roll up function to capture all the cost) and see to see which Project has what Sub Projects?  

I tried to create a custom field and use an IIF statement to match the Project ID and Parent IDs but there is no access to these fields.

Many thanks 

James 

• Edited by JamesP435 Monday, September 11, 2017 3:36 AM
    Monday, September 11, 2017 3:33 AM

All replies

• Hello James, in Project Server 2013 there was a checkbox called "subprojects", but in Project Online it's gone in the Project Center. I'm afraid that you can just see the subprojects within the masterproject.

Best regards,

Julian, PMP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE

Blog: https://project-brain.com

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

• Marked as answer by JamesP435 Tuesday, September 12, 2017 7:03 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by JamesP435 Tuesday, September 12, 2017 7:03 AM
    Monday, September 11, 2017 9:16 AM
  • Hi Julian 

To confirm - In Project Online Project Centre you DO have a tickbox for Subprojects.  My question is that if it is turned on how can I group (using the Group by box in View) a Project and its Sub Projects

Many thanks 

James 

• Edited by JamesP435 Tuesday, September 12, 2017 7:07 AM
    Tuesday, September 12, 2017 7:07 AM
  • Hi James, sorry - my checkbox was hidden with JavaScript. Why don't you use the default view:

The rollup is displayed accordingly. However, if you want to group, you need a common criteria to group by, e.g. you can create a unique identifier for a masterproject and its subprojects via a workflow or manually via a ecf on project level.

Best regards,

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Thursday, September 14, 2017 7:33 AM
  • Hi Julian 

Thanks for that.  I don't want to create a custom field though (the users are not happy that they have to open MS Project to create a Sub Project :-)).  

Can you give me some pointers on the workflow.  Can this be done is SP Designer?  Is it possible to capture the Parent ID there?

Many thanks

James

• Edited by JamesP435 Thursday, September 14, 2017 8:11 AM
    Thursday, September 14, 2017 8:11 AM
  • Hi James,

I checked the api and things will get ugly with a workflow. Via the ProjectType you can identify, if a project is a sub- or masterproject, everything else is complex. Without extra fields, it will not work, because you need to match the sub- and masterprojects - that's the brainwork. You can create a unique key by different criteria with a SharePoint designer workflow.

Maybe this workaround is suitable for you:

Insert the field "Project Type" to a PWA view and group it, check "Rollups". To reduce the number of results, you can filter by a common criteria, e.g. the Project Owner.

Another way is to use the standard functionality "Subprojects".

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Saturday, September 16, 2017 12:29 PM