64x Windows Home Premium 7 hangs frequently on restart/shutdown RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!
    I've been searching high and low for a solution to the frequent restart/shutdown problems - I'm not even sure whether I should post this here or somewhere else. It seems that whenever I use my laptop for any length of time, opening up applications, etc., Windows won't shut down or restart properly - it usually just hangs on the Shutting down screen or, less frequently, on the Logging off screen.  This is a new laptop, so I've installed plenty of drivers and driver updates from the manufacturer's model-specific site.  However, this particular problem started very early on, if not on the first day, then on the second.  This is a new laptop that came with Win7 pre-installed (system details below).

I'm not sure if this is related, but it seems that there are quite many application hangs, mostly with 32-bit programs, especially Thunderbird (since it's always running), but also Windows Explorer and 64x SyncToy, and in some cases, it's impossible to kill the hanging process either from the Task Manager or from the Command Prompt with taskkill /f /PID.  I've now been able to terminate hanging Thunderbird 3 processes after switching to WinXP SP2 compatibility mode with Administrator rights, but I can't restart it without restarting the computer, and this always results in Windows hanging on the Logging off or Shutting down screen.  However, this occurs even without application hangs, so the phenomenon is not directly linked to those.  I'm suspecting that it's got something to do with hardware drivers (the Device Manager doesn't report any problems) or related processes or services. 

I'm running ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 9.1.008.000, but haven't seen any errors reported in the Event Viewer due to ZASS. I've resolved some Bluetooth side-by-side issues, but now there's nothing much to report in the Event Viewer after a hang, just the usual Event IDs 41 and 6008 associated with a forced shutdown - I have to force the computer to shut down by pressing the power button after a couple of minutes.  I suspect that if I just waited long enough, this would eventually lead to a BSOD.

I really don't know what to do next - some of us are supposed to work for a living instead of trying to get their tools to work for more than two weeks...

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.  I'm afraid I don't have the time to start reinstalling every single driver again (been there, done that and repeated already) - am wondering whether the clean boot diagnostics would be useful though.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to do that either until the weekend, since I'm already running two weeks behind schedule, thanks to these problems.   I only stopped to post this before heading to bed (it's 4am here), as I have to do a forced shutdown several times per day, which can't be very good on the motherboard and processor in the long run.  Wouldn't want these Windows problems to end up ruining my nice new laptop.

Quite frankly, I'm rather fed up with this - I've browsed through a bunch of forums trying to figure this out, but no joy so far.  I simply don't have the time to do troubleshooting and debugging on a commercial piece of software, in particular since it's been made well nigh impossible on Home Premium, where the first thing you have to do is to hijack the system just to be able to access system folders and even key MMC snap-ons aren't available (what's up with that?).  I've had problems with this OS from day one - just by way of example, I was only able to install Win7 drivers for an HP LaserJet network printer after setting it up as a 'local printer' first and am still trying to figure out why it won't install 64-bit drivers for my Vodafone USB modem - had to go on a work trip without being able to access the Internet, great...  And the problems with the Task Manager not being able to kill hanging processes are just incomprehensible - never had those with XP Pro.  I'm listing these examples, as I'm no longer sure whether all these things are somehow related.

I'm sorry for ranting and rambling on, but I'm just tired and frustrated and getting rather desperate here.  I'd really really appreciate it if anyone could offer me some insights as to where to look for the problem and what to do next (when I have the time).  It would be nice to do something other than debugging and troubleshooting over Christmas...  Thanks a bunch in advance!

Take care,
    Katja

System details:

System  
      Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
      Model UL50VT
      Total amount of system memory 4,00 GB RAM
      System type 64-bit operating system
      Number of processor cores 2
    Storage  
      Total size of hard disk(s) 451 GB
      Disk partition (C:) 80 GB Free (116 GB Total)
      Disk partition (D:) 248 GB Free (335 GB Total)
      Media drive (E:) CD/DVD
    Graphics  
      Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce G210M
      Total available graphics memory 2286 MB
            Dedicated graphics memory 512 MB
            Dedicated system memory 0 MB
            Shared system memory 1774 MB
      Display adapter driver version 8.15.11.8688
      Primary monitor resolution 1366x768
      DirectX version DirectX 10
    Network  
      Network Adapter Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter
      Network Adapter Hamachi Network Interface
      Network Adapter Atheros AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
      Network Adapter Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
      Network Adapter Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 2:12 AM

Answers

• Hi Linda,

Thanks for your reply. I'm beginning to think that disabling the NVIDIA service solved the problem - I've now been able to reboot five times without any problems. As explained above, this didn't occur every time, so I'm not yet absolutely sure, but it certainly looks promising.  Will post here within the next couple of day if the problems start again.

Regards,
    Katja
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, December 23, 2009 1:43 AM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I use a N51vn Asus Laptop and i do recall having this issue but i do believe it is related to one of the drivers that you installed of the Asus CD. It might be some application that came with it too.So you may wanna look into that.

Regards,

Andrei C>

Andrei Cerchia
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 3:40 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply! As it turns out, the culprit may actually be the NVIDIA Display Driver Service.  I created a bat file to stop the service before restarting - I've only had the time to test this three times, so I'm not yet sure that this is the cause, but at least the computer has restarted smoothly every single time.  The problem with troubleshooting was that this didn't occur every time I pressed Restart, but often enough and usually whenever the computer had been on for some time, so I didn't get this problem when I first installed the Nvidia software and drivers (tried two different versions - the one on the Asus CD and the other from the Asus update site), as I was constantly restarting the computer when I was installing updates.

However, I'm going to test this a bit further and will report back tomorrow.  This probably won't solve my other problems with application hangs and taskkill functionality, but I assume I should start a new topic for those, if disabling the NVIDIA service actually turns out to solve this problem, right?

Thanks again!

Regards,
    Katja
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 1:25 PM
  • Hi Katja,

Yes, please post a new thread regarding the applications hanging issue if the restart and shutdown issue can be resolved by disabling NVIDIA service.

However, if the issue persists after disabling NVIDIA service, you can also try the following suggestions to check the result.

This issue can be related to both software and hardware. Please first go into Safe Mode (Restart computer, press the F8 key when the boot menu pops up, select [Safe Mode], and boot up) and check if the issue still occurs. If the issue does not occur in Safe Mode, you can move on to test Clean Boot mode (Please refer to Windows Vista steps in this knowledge base (KB) article). If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Also, since the laptop is new which is still under warranty, you can contact the manufacturer directly to check the issue.

Regards,

Linda

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 9:09 AM
  • Hi Linda,

Thanks for your reply. I'm beginning to think that disabling the NVIDIA service solved the problem - I've now been able to reboot five times without any problems. As explained above, this didn't occur every time, so I'm not yet absolutely sure, but it certainly looks promising.  Will post here within the next couple of day if the problems start again.

Regards,
    Katja
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, December 23, 2009 1:43 AM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:54 AM
  • Hi Katja,

Please keep monitoring the issue for some time. If the issue reoccurs, please feel free to post back the result of trying the previous suggestions. J

Friday, December 18, 2009 3:12 AM
  • For a detailed analysis of the shutdown you can use the Windows Performance Toolkit (http://www.msfn.org/board/trace-windows-7-boot-shutdown-hibernate-standby-resume-issues-t140247.html).

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Friday, December 18, 2009 12:13 PM
  • Hi there,

Thanks for your replies! So far, the problem hasn't come back - I have had some logoff issues, but those were probably related to explorer.exe crashing and refusing to terminate from Task Manager or from the Command Prompt, which is another story. However, the computer has not frozen even once on the Shutting down screen since I disabled the NVIDIA service. 

This was actually the site that originally gave me the idea to start troubleshooting from NVIDIA (comment by DW dated 17 October 2009):
    http://windowsfixup.com/2009/05/windows-7-hangs-at-shutdown-fix/

Best regards,
    Katja

Friday, December 18, 2009 6:19 PM
  • Hi Katja,

I am glad to hear the issue does not occur after disabling nVIDIA service. Please uninstall the display card driver, software first. Then, please download and install the latest display card driver from nVIDIA which is fully compatible with Windows 7 and see if the issue can be resolved. You can also contact nVIDIA directly to confirm the issue.

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

In addition, if the other issues persist, please post a new thread for more discussion. J

Monday, December 21, 2009 6:20 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply! As it turns out, the culprit may actually be the NVIDIA Display Driver Service.  I created a bat file to stop the service before restarting - I've only had the time to test this three times, so I'm not yet sure that this is the cause, but at least the computer has restarted smoothly every single time.  The problem with troubleshooting was that this didn't occur every time I pressed Restart, but often enough and usually whenever the computer had been on for some time, so I didn't get this problem when I first installed the Nvidia software and drivers (tried two different versions - the one on the Asus CD and the other from the Asus update site), as I was constantly restarting the computer when I was installing updates.

However, I'm going to test this a bit further and will report back tomorrow.  This probably won't solve my other problems with application hangs and taskkill functionality, but I assume I should start a new topic for those, if disabling the NVIDIA service actually turns out to solve this problem, right?

Thanks again!

Regards,
    Katja

Hi Katja,
      I've just came across this problem myself. I recently installed Window 7 Pro 64-bit and the restarting/shut down hangs have been driving me mad. I also have an NVIDIA driver and was hoping you could tell me how you created your bat file and where you placed it.

Thanks for the help!

London_lad
    Monday, December 21, 2009 3:19 PM
  • Hi London lad,

I'm very sorry for not replying sooner - have been busy upgrading Home Premium to Ultimate! 

This is what I did to create the bat file:

First I created a simple text file - in other words, opened Notepad and wrote just the following line:
    net stop "nvsvc"

Please note that "nvsvc" needs to have the quotes - this refers to the NVIDIA service.  I saved this as Nvidia stop.txt to the root of my Windows drive (C:\)  and simply renamed it to Nvidia stop.bat - in other words, just replaced the txt extension with bat.  Then I created a shortcut of the bat file to the desktop.

You can test this by double-clicking the file and restarting.  If it seems to solve the problem, the next step was to create a registry file, since my Win7 Home Premium did not have the Local Computer Policy snap-on.  As you have the Pro version, I'd suggest using the snap-on instead - if the bat file seems to solve the problem, you may want to check out this tutorial that shows how you can apply it as a logoff and shutdown script:
    http://www.tutorial5.com/content/view/157/47/

PLEASE NOTE that this basically means messing with the registry, so you should really back up your registry before doing anything.  I've generally used ERUNT, which comes as part of a very nice registry optimisation application called NETREGOPT (http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/), but there are plenty of other applications that you can use for this purpose.  You might also want to create a restore point just to be on the safe side.

Just in case someone else is interested, I'm including the shutdown script I applied to the registry below.  You don't really need to do this, as you have the snap-on available in your Windows version and can easily create both a shutdown and a logoff script.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy\State\Machine\Scripts]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy\State\Machine\Scripts\Shutdown]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy\State\Machine\Scripts\Startup]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy\State\Machine\Scripts\Startup\0]
    "GPO-ID"="LocalGPO"
    "SOM-ID"="Local"
    "FileSysPath"="C:\\Windows\\System32\\GroupPolicy\\Machine"
    "DisplayName"="Stratégie de groupe locale"
    "GPOName"="Stratégie de groupe locale"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy\State\Machine\Scripts\Shutdown\0]
    "GPO-ID"="LocalGPO"
    "SOM-ID"="Local"
    "FileSysPath"="C:\\Windows\\System32\\GroupPolicy\\Machine"
    "DisplayName"="Stratégie de groupe locale"
    "GPOName"="Stratégie de groupe locale"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy\State\Machine\Scripts\Startup\0\0]
    "Script"="C:\\Nvidiastop.bat"
    "Parameters"=""
    "ExecTime"=hex(b):00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

I am no expert and the script above was something I found on a website (apparently created using a French version of Windows).  The only thing I changed was the third to last line, "Script"="C:\\Nvidiastop.bat" - this is to indicate the file name and path of the script.  And yes, there really needs to be TWO backslashes.

In other words, I copied the above script to Notepad, changed the one line as shown above, saved the file as shutdown.txt to my desktop and renamed it to shutdown.reg.  Then I simply applied the script by double-clicking the file.  I really should have created another file for a logoff script, since logging off from my user account (not restarting, just logging off) would still cause the same hang if I forgot to double-click the bat file, but I decided to upgrade to Ultimate before starting to figure out how to create such a script.

I did try the driver found from the NVIDIA site before upgrading to Ultimate, but that didn't work either.  I guess the uninstall process of the previous version left some traces that botched the whole thing up...

So, I finally decided to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate - did a clean install of Win7 HP first without updating ANY drivers, upgraded to Win7 Ultimate, and lo and behold, the shutdown hangs are history!  I still don't know why the NVIDIA driver update from the ASUS update website should cause so much trouble, but I haven't dared to update the driver since I upgraded to Ultimate (it's fairly new anyway and claims to be Windows 7 compliant).

Sorry again for taking so long to reply.  Hope this helps and have a great new year 2010!

Best regards,
    Katja
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 8:17 AM
  • hello all,

I have been having the same problem with my Asus laptop. I have had issues with the NVIDIA drivers since Windows Vista. I am currently running Windows 7 ultimate edition 32-bit. my video card is the NVIDIA 8600M GT 256 on the Asus G1s

Recently I updated my NVIDIA driver to version 195.62 (stock). this driver caused a lot of errors in my system, every time I connected my flash USB stick, I would get a blue screen and the system would restart it keeps doing so until I takeout the USB stick. I have isolated the problem to the NVIDIA driver. I have no doubt in my mind that it caused it.

I am also running into shutdown problems where the computer would freeze on the shutdown screen and would have to press the power button until it shuts down. This problem did not always happen so I could never isolate what caused it. It happened quite frequently though.

unfortunately I did not see this post before I formatted my computer and installed a fresh copy of Windows 7. I still have slow shutdowns sometimes. I've followed the instructions above and created the .bat file. I've only used it once now but the shutdown was considerably faster. I'm going to keep it anyway.

I am writing this post to inform you that you do not have to use the NVIDIA stock drivers. I have been using http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/ for my NVIDIA drivers.

and here is The link for the drivers that I used

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/26003-dox-19562/

the following cards are supported (only laptops):
    MOBILE GPUS ONLY:

NVIDIA.DEV_0244.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0247.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 6100"
    NVIDIA.DEV_00C8.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 6800"
    NVIDIA.DEV_00C9.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 6800 Ultra"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0144.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 6600"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0148.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 6600"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0149.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 6600 GT"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0164.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 6200"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0166.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 6400"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0167.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 6200"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0168.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 6400"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0530.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 7190M"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0531.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 7150M"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0532.1 = "NVIDIA MCP67M"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0533.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 7000M"
    NVIDIA.DEV_053F.1 = "NVIDIA MCP67M"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0844.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9100M G"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0845.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G / GeForce 8200M"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0862.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9400M G"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0863.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9400M"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0866.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9400M G"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0870.1 = "NVIDIA Geforce 9400M"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0872.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce G102M"  
    NVIDIA.DEV_0873.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce G102M" 
    NVIDIA.DEV_0874.1 = "NVIDIA ION"      
    NVIDIA.DEV_0876.1 = "NVIDIA ION"   
    NVIDIA.DEV_087D.1 = "NVIDIA ION"    
    NVIDIA.DEV_087E.1 = "NVIDIA ION LE" 
    NVIDIA.DEV_087F.1 = "NVIDIA ION LE" 
    NVIDIA.DEV_086E.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9100M G"
    NVIDIA.DEV_086F.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0098.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 7800"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0099.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 7800 GTX"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0297.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 7950 GTX"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0298.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0299.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GTX / Quadro NVS 510M"
    NVIDIA.DEV_01D4.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 7350"
    NVIDIA.DEV_01D6.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 7200"
    NVIDIA.DEV_01D7.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300"
    NVIDIA.DEV_01D8.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400"
    NVIDIA.DEV_01D9.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 7450"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0397.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 7700"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0398.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0399.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 GT"
    NVIDIA.DEV_039B.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 SE"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0405.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9500M GS"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0406.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9500M GS"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0407.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0408.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9650M GS"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0409.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8700M GT"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0425.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0426.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0427.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0428.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8400M G"
    NVIDIA.DEV_042E.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9300M G"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0608.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTX"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0609.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTS"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0617.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTX"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0618.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0631.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTS 160M"
    NVIDIA.DEV_060A.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280M"
    NVIDIA.DEV_060B.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GT"
    NVIDIA.DEV_060C.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTX"
    NVIDIA.DEV_060F.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285M"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0628.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0631.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTS 160M"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0632.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTS 150M"
    NVIDIA.DEV_062A.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9700M GTS"
    NVIDIA.DEV_062B.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GT"
    NVIDIA.DEV_062C.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0647.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0648.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GS"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0649.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0651.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce G 110M"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0652.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 130M"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0653.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 120M"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0654.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 220M"
    NVIDIA.DEV_064A.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9700M GT"
    NVIDIA.DEV_064B.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9500M G"
    NVIDIA.DEV_064C.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9650M GT"
    NVIDIA.DEV_06E5.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS"
    NVIDIA.DEV_06E8.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS"
    NVIDIA.DEV_06E9.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS"
    NVIDIA.DEV_06EC.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce G 105M"
    NVIDIA.DEV_06EF.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce G 103M"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0A29.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0A28.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M" 
    NVIDIA.DEV_0A2A.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M "
    NVIDIA.DEV_0A2B.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M "
    NVIDIA.DEV_0A34.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 240M" 
    NVIDIA.DEV_0A74.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce G210M" 
    NVIDIA.DEV_0A68.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce G105M " 
    NVIDIA.DEV_0A69.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce G105M " 
    NVIDIA.DEV_0A6E.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 305M"   
    NVIDIA.DEV_0A75.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 310M"   
    NVIDIA.DEV_0CA8.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTS 260M"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0CA9.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250M"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0CAF.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 335M" 
    NVIDIA.DEV_0CB0.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTS 350M"
    NVIDIA.DEV_0CB1.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M"

Note that you can find any driver you want and in solid on any video card you want using modded INF files. the process is very easy. Just go to the laptopvideo2go and you'll find what you need. My experience is that if you find a driver that works never update it. "If it aint broke, don't fix it"

I will update again if I run into the shutdown problems.

Many thanks for these posts, I have been wasting countless hours every day trying to figure out what happened.
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 2:44 AM
  • I have a Toshiba Qosmio brand new as of December 2009.  I had a similar problem that involved shutdown bluescreen and auto reboot.  After 2 months research I found the problem.  The driver for your Atheros AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller is not compatible with Windows 7 68 bit OS.  I suggest that you change this driver to 
    Driver Date: 9-2-2009
    Driver Version: 1.0.0.14
    Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher
    This should prevent the erratic shutdown and rebooting of your laptop
    Al
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 4:09 PM
  • I had a similar problem.  This worked for me:

Figured It Out wrote:

Try this:

1. Start
    2. control panel
    3. system and security
    4. power options
    5. change plan
    5. change advanced power settings
    6. scroll down to USB
    7.click USB setttings
    8. click USB selective suspend
    9. Disable

That should work it did for my husband. We  stumbled upon it while trying to fix it. If you notice all of your errors in the log were with the USB device not entering suspend.
    • Proposed as answer by DPelletier360 Monday, September 13, 2010 8:32 PM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:01 AM
  • I had a similar problem.  This worked for me:

Figured It Out wrote:

Try this:

1. Start
    2. control panel
    3. system and security
    4. power options
    5. change plan
    5. change advanced power settings
    6. scroll down to USB
    7.click USB setttings
    8. click USB selective suspend
    9. Disable

That should work it did for my husband. We  stumbled upon it while trying to fix it. If you notice all of your errors in the log were with the USB device not entering suspend.
    Omg it worked. It was just frozen for 30 seconds about and then I could access any feature of my computer. I think the reason for the delay is due to having hybrid sleep turned off. So ya thanks!
    • Proposed as answer by DPelletier360 Monday, September 13, 2010 8:42 PM
    Monday, September 13, 2010 8:33 PM
  • Hi there I have found the solution to this problem . It might be different for some of you but i know for sure now that i have fixed this problem. PC TOOLS Spy-ware Spy Doctor . It was the problem all along. For some reason i decided to try and get rid of it and get a whole new anti virus software, and the second i got rid of it, no more problem. I dont know if it is windows 7 that cant work with the program but it was definitely the issue. I changed to trend Micro anti virus and it has been the best anti virus software Ive had, with zero problems. I had this problem for months and I switched to trend micro about 2 months ago. And now since its been long enough to ensure that PC TOOLS was the problem, Ive come to try and help with this issue. Let me know if anyone is running it as well and that was the case. And I hope this helps Microsoft so maybe they can figure out why the two are not working together. Hope I could help.
    Friday, December 24, 2010 1:49 AM
  • Hi I just wanted to say ty to you and your husband for the stumble lol ......I tried this one first after reading many and your made much more sense because most off the problems started with yup the USB lol or anything i tried to use with them.....I also restarted my laptop to check and grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr well yeah it didnt shut down but I went a step further and started in safe mode ,,,,,,,I went to control panel and clicked on the power options and well this is what i discovered......I let Hp chose my plan and to my amazement they chose the wrong one lol hmmmm Hp made this laptop go figure..so I tried power saver and Wow my laptop shutdown well in less than 1 min versus 20 min...  I am very thankful for everyone that looks into these lovely pains in the @#######    because i got my answer and hope I help others as well....TY ty 

Have a wonderful weekend   Many thanks 

Sunday, February 5, 2012 5:15 AM
  • hi katjar

i am facing the same problem on my new lapi..asus k55vm..i am also facing trouble when i shut down my lappy,problem arise mainly after 1-2 days or when i run my lappy for a long time or run manny applications on it,,,since its new so i think some driver might be causing this problem but dont know which one....please help nd give some advice on finding the problem........i have i7 3rd generation,nvidia gt 630m driver version 296.16

thnks in advance

regards

pain_almity

Saturday, July 14, 2012 9:32 AM