Does BPOS limit the number of emails that can be sent from one email address? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm curious as to whether Microsoft BPOS caps the number of emails that can be sent from a mailbox in one day? If yes, does anyone happen to know what the limit is?

Thanks so much,
    Nina
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 9:42 PM

Answers

• Nope there are no limits to number of emails that can be sent using Microsoft Online Services.
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 6:07 AM
  • I would assume the limit is calculated the same way as it is on an onpremise Exchange 2007 server.  The limit is calulated after all distribution lists have been expanded.  So in your example you would need to send 4 emails.

Chad

Chad Mosman, MessageOps | www.MessageOps.com
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 7:42 PM
  • Let me clarify, the limit is 250 external, and 5000 internal.
    Friday, January 22, 2010 1:33 AM

All replies

• I don't believe so. There is a limit to how many addresses can be sent in one email I believe it is 500 external 5000 internal. If there is it would be higher then a human should be able to send out in a given day at the very least. I also know that some people have used BPOS for a web form reply using SMTP so if there is I would imagine it would be very high.
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 11:54 PM
  • Nope there are no limits to number of emails that can be sent using Microsoft Online Services.
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 6:07 AM
  • Regarding the limit of 5000 internal users:

What If I have to send an email to 4  Distribution lists each with 5000 separate users? Do I need to send out 4 emails to be within the 5000 user limit or can the 4 DLs be on one email ?

Thursday, January 21, 2010 6:46 PM
  • I would assume the limit is calculated the same way as it is on an onpremise Exchange 2007 server.  The limit is calulated after all distribution lists have been expanded.  So in your example you would need to send 4 emails.

Chad

Chad Mosman, MessageOps | www.MessageOps.com
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 7:42 PM
  • Let me clarify, the limit is 250 external, and 5000 internal.
    Friday, January 22, 2010 1:33 AM
  • Actually, there is a limit of 499 (internal) in regards to Distribution Groups. We have a BPOS customer that has a distribution list for the entire organization (as most do) That is around 1700 members. But not all memebers are recieving  mails. Microsoft Support tells us that a DL group can  have a max of 499 members.

They recommended breaking that group into several other groups. But, the trick is that each actually has to be sent as a seperate mail. Meaning that DL group (All-company@bin.xissworld.com) cannot have all those other groups as members.  So, to ensure all people recieved the e-mails they need to be sent to each seperate group. I recommended to the customer -instead of making (All-company@bin.xissworld.com) a Distribution Group make it a real user then setup a rule that redirects all incoming mail to the new groups.

All-company@bin.xissworld.com  à redirect all mails to:

XssAll.g1@bin.xissworld.com 

XssAll.g2@bin.xissworld.com

XssAll.g3@bin.xissworld.com

• Proposed as answer by BrianTGrant Thursday, May 16, 2013 6:49 PM
    Friday, January 7, 2011 9:10 AM
  • Actually, there is a limit of 499 (internal) in regards to Distribution Groups. We have a BPOS customer that has a distribution list for the entire organization (as most do) That is around 1700 members. But not all memebers are recieving  mails. Microsoft Support tells us that a DL group can  have a max of 499 members.

They recommended breaking that group into several other groups. But, the trick is that each actually has to be sent as a seperate mail. Meaning that DL group (All-company@bin.xissworld.com) cannot have all those other groups as members.  So, to ensure all people recieved the e-mails they need to be sent to each seperate group. I recommended to the customer -instead of making (All-company@bin.xissworld.com) a Distribution Group make it a real user then setup a rule that redirects all incoming mail to the new groups.

All-company@bin.xissworld.com  à redirect all mails to:

XssAll.g1@bin.xissworld.com 

XssAll.g2@bin.xissworld.com

XssAll.g3@bin.xissworld.com

Hello - Our organization is new to BPOS and we're currently in co-existence mode/mid-migration.  In the above scenario, how exactly can this be done.  How do you create a re-direct to multiple distribution lists from a single account in BPOS.  Is this done through internal Active Directory? Or is done in the cloud somewhere?

Thank you.

Monday, June 27, 2011 4:39 PM
  • I think he is referring to making an actual mailbox instead of a large DL. Then you setup a server-side rule in that mailbox t re-direct email sent to it to the individual (smaller - 499 member) DL's. This you would do by just logging into this mailbox as the user (owner) and run the rules wizard. The downside, is this will use up a license. But  I think it's a clever solution.

Oh, you would probably want to hide the smaller DL's from the GAL so people won't mistakenly try to use them instead of the large one.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:08 PM