none
Using Exchagne 2003 as a ListServ? Can it be done? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

I have been asked to research if Exchange 2003 (2003 Domain) can be used as a bulk email server.

An internal division would like the ability to send outbound messages to undisclosed recipients using the bcc line as friendly reminders for business functions.

Any inherent bulk email functions within Exchange 2003 that would simplify sending outbound bulk email messages; potentially 3K to 5K at a time.

Any issues with bounce backs? Valid Exchange/POP account will be used to receive the bouncebacks

Any potential spam issues or blocks? 

*How do we stay off being blacklisted?

Monitoring of the mailbox is to be shared initially between two Divisions

*Any potential issues with Exchange 2003 – with performance with bulk emails, etc.?

I googled 'Exchange listserv' and 'exchange 2003 listserv' and came up with articles 10+ years old.

Would subscribing and unsubscribing be a manual process?

are there any reputable free listserv vendors?

Sorry for all the questions.  If i missed a question that you think is important, please let me know.

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 4:53 PM

All replies

• You can, but I would say using another SMTP server for this or use a hosted service, otherwise you can get blacklisted.

Sukh
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 11:09 PM
  • Thank you for the followup.

do you know if there is a document or article that talks about using exchange this way.

or how it would get setup.

Thanks.

Monday, November 28, 2011 4:11 PM
  • There's isn't a document for this that I know of, usually IP's are adddeed to the SMTP that allows them to send emails, then smtp setting are adjusted to what's required/performance.
    Sukh
    Monday, November 28, 2011 4:22 PM
  • This is like asking if you can take a Ferrari to do the weekly grocery shopping trip.

Yes you can do it, but it isn't a very good for doing the job.

Exchange is a very poor bulk emailing tool, it cannot cope with bounces and rejects and will basically make your connection unusable while the messages are being sent. Then you have to deal with being blacklisted (as with bulk email it is just a matter of when, not if).

My advice to you would be to abandon the idea and either look at purchasing software to do the job, or outsource it. The cost of using a bulk email provider like MailChimp or others simply makes doing it yourself a poor decision, particularly given the risk it creates to your main email being disrupted.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    Monday, November 28, 2011 4:52 PM