WSUS on Server 2003 stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• My WSUS server stopped synchronizing in October. I've been trying to get it to sync, but manual syncs also fail. I have been using the WSUS debug tool to try to purge unneeded updates, but that also fails at the state machine reset. I know the time is quickly running out on this OS, but until I can build a 2012 R2 server to replace it, I have to stick with this one. The last time I tried to replace it, my clients would not connect to the new server (same OS.)

What else can be done to try to get it working again?

Thank you

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 5:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

WSUS change the default port since Windows Server 2012. The port for HTTP is change from TCP 80 to TCP 8530.

Please make sure that the URL of the new WSUS server has the port appended.

Please try to run the command below on the clients to force a group policy refresh.

gpupdate /force

If the clients have been configured properly the following registry value should exist:

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 6:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>> I've been trying to get it to sync, but manual syncs also fail.

Please try to run the server cleanup wizard to remove the unused updates.

If it doesn't work, please check the event log and the softwaredistribution.log to find the detailed error information.

>>The last time I tried to replace it, my clients would not connect to the new server (same OS.)

The WSUS clients are configured by group policy. Please make sure that clients have been configured correctly.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 3, 2015 6:51 AM
  • Thank you for your repsonse.

> Please try to run the server cleanup wizard to remove the unused updates.

If it doesn't work, please check the event log and the softwaredistribution.log to find the detailed error information.<

Yes, I've been trying to remove unused updates by using the WSUS Debug tool, which, as I stated above, fails at the state machine reset, the first step.

The software distribution log has a lot of entries that mean virtually nothing to me.

At this point, I'm wondering if an uninstall/reinstall might help. There seem to be a lot of SQL errors in my investigating.

Monday, December 7, 2015 6:03 PM
  • Here's a question. I tried finding a response from others who have done the same or similar - removing old server replacing with new server with either the same name or a different name - but I haven't seen an actual resolution yet. Would it be better to delete the existing GPOs that define Windows Update behavior or edit the existing GPOs with the new server name?

I replaced the old not working server with a 2012 WSUS server and edited the existing GPOs, but none of my clients have reported to the new server and testing on my own computer results in an error - 80244019.  Stop/start of the windows update service was no help. I looked in the registry but I didn't see any entries with the server name.  

It's only been a day, how long should I wait to see if/when the clients start reporting to the new server before I delete the old GPOs and create new ones?

Thursday, December 17, 2015 8:30 PM
  • Hi,

WSUS change the default port since Windows Server 2012. The port for HTTP is change from TCP 80 to TCP 8530.

Please make sure that the URL of the new WSUS server has the port appended.

Please try to run the command below on the clients to force a group policy refresh.

gpupdate /force

If the clients have been configured properly the following registry value should exist:

Best Regards.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 6:17 AM