Operations Manager failed to run a WMI query for WMI events (HP StoreVirtual P4500) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I've got 2x HP P4500 Gen2 StoreVirtual Nodes in a cluster and am using SCOM 2012 R2 CU9 and HP Storage Management Pack v4.2.1 to monitor.

However Operations Manager is receiving hundreds of repeat counts:

HPEnterpriseStorageLeftHandMP Operations Manager failed to run a WMI query for WMI events
    Module was unable to execute the notification query.
    Error: 0x80041004
    Details: Provider failure
    One or more workflows were affected by this. 
    Workflow name: HPEnterpriseStorageLeftHandMP.BackplaneTrap.Catcher.Rule
    Workflow name: HPEnterpriseStorageLeftHandMP.FANTrap.Catcher.Rule
    Instance name: HP StoreVirtual SNMP Trap Catcher Rule
    Instance ID: {}

P4500 SAN cluster is running software version 12.5.00.0563.0
    I have installed and Configured the HP Storage Management Pack v4.2.1
    Enabled the HP SNMP object discoveries in Operations Manger 2012 R2 CU9
    Configuring SNMP traps via CMC

There are about 33 HP StoreVirtual SNMP Trap Catcher Rules

How can they ever run WMI scripts given the P4500 Gen2's are Linux based?

Thanks

Steve

• Edited by DoJu Monday, September 12, 2016 1:27 AM
    Monday, September 12, 2016 1:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Sir,

Have you check this article:

http://www.mrchiyo.com/installing-and-configuring-hp-storage-management-pack-v4-2-1/

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 12, 2016 1:52 PM
  • Yes, went through it step by step but still receiving the error.

Alert Rule:    Workflow Runtime: Failed to run a WMI query for WMI events 
    Workflow name: HPEnterpriseStorageLeftHandMP.BackplaneTrap.Catcher.Rule

I only have one SCOM Management Server so am using the a collection point on the CMC Server.

Friday, September 16, 2016 3:53 AM
  • Hello

Did you ever get a resolution for this? Having same issue with HPE MSA

Sunday, December 18, 2016 8:04 PM
  • Only resolution by the looks is to override and disable the HP StoreVirtual SNMP Trap Capture rule.

Not sure why HP would create WMI workflows for Linux based HP P4500G2 SANs

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 9:28 PM
  • Hi Steve,

In the HP Storage MP Guide there is troubleshooting section and if I am not mistaken there is also a hint on what to do if you experience a WMI provider failure. I have the guide but am currently unable to check it out.

If I remember good there was something with reinstalling the snmp trap service.

Are you using a SNMP collection point or you are geting the traps directly from a Management Server?

I would definetely recommend you a SNMP collection point. I had great difficulties with setting the trap collection on a Management Server, even though it was not part of a Network monitoring ressource pool (this could mess with the snmp stack).

You can take MIB browser of your choice, load the MIB and send test traps to see if the system is configured properly. If there are received, but you don't get alerts then something is workng with the rule itself.

Another thing: You know that there iss already a version 4.3 of the HP Storage MP. They have corrected a specific issue in regards to StoreVirtual there. It would be wise to get it.

Regards,

Stoyan (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!)

Thursday, January 19, 2017 9:23 AM
  • Hi Danny,

No unfortunately, I've setup everything as per the HP guide (using a member server that is not a SCOM mangement server etc) to no avail, still receiving lots of repeat counts in SCOM for:

Operations Manager filed to run a WMI query for WMI events

Workflow name: HPEnterpriseStorageLeftHandMP.DiskTrap.Catcher.Rule
    Management group: AAA

Why this rule even exists is a unknown given you cannot run a WMI script on a P4500 GEN2 HP SAN

Steve

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 11:06 PM
  • Hi Stoyan,

I've setup the SNMP collection point on another server (the server running the HP virtual SAN CMC console for managing the P4500 Gen2 - 2 node cluster.

The imported HP StoreVirtual Storage MP in the SCOM console correctly shows the Diagram View, state view, and from time to time I receive alerts pop up in the SCOM Alerts window when issues arise.

I'm using version 4.2.1 of the HP StoreVirtual Sotrage Management Pack for System Center.

Mr Chiyo's walk through is awesome:

http://www.mrchiyo.com/installing-and-configuring-hp-storage-management-pack-v4-2-1/

I'll have a look at version 4.3 of the HP Storage MP and report back on how things go.

Steve

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 11:12 PM