80070070 Error on a machine with BitLocker enabled RRS feed

• Question

• Okay, we build PCs with Windows 7 and enable bitlocker on them. The time comes for the rebuild and we want to rebuild them with Windows 7 x64 (at least in testing if not finally in production, but we want the option.) So we boot into PXE and by default into the x86 boot image. We select the the task sequence to run and it wants to reboot into the x64 boot image to instal the x64 image, so before even the task sequence starts, it downloads the x64 boot image. This fails with 0x80070070 because the task sequence appears to be downloading the boot image into the 100Mb Boot partition (well Duh! Not enough space...) The actual OS partition is not available because it is protected by bitlocker.

Any pointers would be helpful. Going to each PC and turning off bitlocker prior to running a task sequence defeats the point of ZTI... I suppose I could run a command suspending protection on every PC using a seperate task sequence, but that means possibly leaving data vulnerable even for a short period of time.

Is there any way of modifying the location of the intended boot sequence by getting it to PXE boot to the correct image, rather than download a boot image, perhaps. I could increase the boot partition size to 200Mb, as with drivers the boot image is 144Mb+ but not retrospectively.

Anthony Sheehy - MCP, MCITP
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 1:47 PM

Answers

• Hi Eric,

I figured this out. I have read that article and had those things in place before I had even seen it. I am afraid it does nothing to answer the particular problem I am.

No, the problem, I have discovered, is that the 100mb partition is too small to carry the modified boot image. This is the source of the 80070070 error. So when you PXE boot a non-booting windows installation, and the OS you want to install is a different architecture than the WinPE it has booted to, it downloads into an available partition the new WinPE image.

Now if the OS drive was encrypted by bitlocker, that partition is unavailable until formated. Which leaves the boot partition, which is too small, hence the task sequence fails for lack of disk space.

Anyway, I have got round this now by creating a script that scans the hard drives and determines if any are unavailable. If they are, the script prompts the user to format the disk, freeing it for use by WinPE to download the new image and solving my problem. The last pice of the puzzle was how to get this to hook into the boot sequence before that Task Sequence executed and that was answered here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgrosd/thread/fde6c9f3-5d3d-4dc7-846c-0577a0dc81f4

• Marked as answer by ACSheehy Friday, May 7, 2010 9:37 AM
    Friday, May 7, 2010 9:37 AM

All replies

• Marked as answer by Eric Zhang CHN Thursday, May 6, 2010 2:51 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by ACSheehy Friday, May 7, 2010 9:04 AM
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 7:16 AM
  • Hi Eric,

I figured this out. I have read that article and had those things in place before I had even seen it. I am afraid it does nothing to answer the particular problem I am.

No, the problem, I have discovered, is that the 100mb partition is too small to carry the modified boot image. This is the source of the 80070070 error. So when you PXE boot a non-booting windows installation, and the OS you want to install is a different architecture than the WinPE it has booted to, it downloads into an available partition the new WinPE image.

Now if the OS drive was encrypted by bitlocker, that partition is unavailable until formated. Which leaves the boot partition, which is too small, hence the task sequence fails for lack of disk space.

Anyway, I have got round this now by creating a script that scans the hard drives and determines if any are unavailable. If they are, the script prompts the user to format the disk, freeing it for use by WinPE to download the new image and solving my problem. The last pice of the puzzle was how to get this to hook into the boot sequence before that Task Sequence executed and that was answered here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgrosd/thread/fde6c9f3-5d3d-4dc7-846c-0577a0dc81f4

• Marked as answer by ACSheehy Friday, May 7, 2010 9:37 AM
    Friday, May 7, 2010 9:37 AM