none
Change IP Address of DPM 2010 server RRS feed

• Question

• I changed the IP address on the single NIC of the DPM server to a different subnet. All backup jobs failed with errors along the lines of "the computer is unreachable" with an ID of 41. Here's what's wierd:

- The DNS was fine - you could ping and browse to and from the DPM server from all clients

- You could resolve all the DPM agents (except 2).

- If you created a new Protection Group, all the network servers were available for selection.

As a test, I removed and re-added servers to Protection Groups, created new Protection Groups, removed and re-added agents to client servers, all with no effect. I was unable to find anything relevant or helpful on the web. The result was always the same. I changed the IP back to the old address, and everything was fine (including the 2 agents that wouldn't resolve).

Everything I read said that DPM uses the FQDN, not IP, for resolution. Does changing the IP address require you to uninstall - reinstall DPM? What am I missing? Thanks for any help!

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 11:14 PM

All replies

• You changed only the IP Address or the server went to a completely different network?

We have successful cases where customer create a secondary DPM server and leave the server on the same network as the Primary DPM Server for initial replication and once this is done they move that server to a different location (usually different city) in which the IP/subnet is completely different from what it was originally but this never caused any problem.

If you give more details on the scenario I can try to reproduce....

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 12:05 AM
  • Hi Wilson,

Thanks for the reply. The DPM server is in a colocation cabinet at our ISP. We're migrating all servers in the cabinet to a different, and larger, subnet because we had used up all IPs in the current subnet. The server (or anything else) never moved. I don't know that it's relevant, but the IP was changed from 69.30.50.205 to 209.162.210.195. About half the servers in the cabinet are on the old subnet and half on the new one. The DPM server backs up servers located on five different subnets, both local and over a WAN. Nothing changed on the NIC except the IP, subnet mask, and default gateway. No client servers were changed.

Thanks!

Thursday, January 19, 2012 12:21 AM
  • Hi,

Perhaps there is a firewall that was allowing DPM traffic for the old IP address of the DPM server, but not the new IP address?

The exact error message for the job may help provide more clues.

Thanks,

Marc

Thursday, January 19, 2012 1:07 PM
  • Hi Marc,

No, there's no firewall between the DPM and other local servers.

The failure message description was almost always: "DPM failed to communicate with <server name> because the computer is unreachable. (ID 41 Details: No such host is known (0x80072AF())". The extended help info doesn't really say much beyond the obvious.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:43 PM
  • you need to re-attach the clients to the DPM server and vice versa using the

SetDpmServer.exe –dpmServerName <DPMServerName>

and in the clients

attach-productionserver

The server is looking for the protected computers on the last good known network ip.

No need to delete or re-create the protection groups.

If you have problems, check if the server can resolve the protected computer name (a DNS issue) or as a quick fix, use the host config file in case the server pings the IP but does not resolve the names.

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 2:46 PM
  • you need to re-attach the clients to the DPM server and vice versa using the

SetDpmServer.exe –dpmServerName <DPMServerName>

and in the clients

attach-productionserver

The server is looking for the protected computers on the last good known network ip.

No need to delete or re-create the protection groups.

If you have problems, check if the server can resolve the protected computer name (a DNS issue) or as a quick fix, use the host config file in case the server pings the IP but does not resolve the names.

http://www.buchatech.com/2011/02/move-a-protected-server-from-one-dpm-to-another-dpm/

Have a nice day !!!

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 6:55 AM