Alternate Exchange DB Compaction RRS feed

• Question

• I don't really want to do an offline compaction.  The DB in question is 800+ GB and I don't have the downtime available to do it.  Would it work to create a new mailbox DB and move the existing mailboxes to it and the remove the old DB?  That is to say, when you move a mailbox from one DB to another is it compacted as a result?

bruce l. fyfe, jr. LAKESIDE INDUSTRIES po box 7016 issaquah, washington 98027 tel 425.313.2600 fax 425.313.2620 online @ www.lakesideind.com

Thursday, January 3, 2013 4:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It will work definitely and that's the better way when you are not able to afford a downtime. Create new DB and do 'Local Move'. All the data will be moved and delete the db as a final step..Good Luck

Regards from ExchangeOnline Windows Administrator's Area

• Marked as answer by cara chen Thursday, January 17, 2013 9:30 AM
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 4:40 PM
  • yes - that is the best method.

When the mailboxes are moved across, only valid content will be moved.  If there are loads and loads of blank pages in the underlying old database then that will not be carried over.

Exchange 2010 has online mailbox move, which makes this really easy! 

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2010/07/19/3410438.aspx

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Microsoft Premier Field Engineer, Exchange

Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/rmilne  Twitter:    LinkedIn:    Facebook:

Note: My posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

• Proposed as answer by ManU PhiliP Thursday, January 3, 2013 4:43 PM
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 4:42 PM
  • Just an addition to the above, if the size is 800GB because it's fragmented then fine (but it seems not). If not, then I would reconsider creating multiple manageable size DB's so you can perform such tasks and maye even help you with shorter backups/recovery if needed.

Something like 200-300GB.

Sukh

Thursday, January 3, 2013 4:47 PM

All replies

• I don't really want to do an offline compaction.  The DB in question is 800+ GB and I don't have the downtime available to do it.  Would it work to create a new mailbox DB and move the existing mailboxes to it and the remove the old DB?  That is to say, when you move a mailbox from one DB to another is it compacted as a result?

bruce l. fyfe, jr. LAKESIDE INDUSTRIES po box 7016 issaquah, washington 98027 tel 425.313.2600 fax 425.313.2620 online @ www.lakesideind.com

• Merged by ManU PhiliP Thursday, January 3, 2013 5:31 PM Same Question
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 4:35 PM
  • Hi,

It will work definitely and that's the better way when you are not able to afford a downtime. Create new DB and do 'Local Move'. All the data will be moved and delete the db as a final step..Good Luck

Regards from ExchangeOnline Windows Administrator's Area

Thursday, January 3, 2013 4:40 PM
  • yes - that is the best method.

When the mailboxes are moved across, only valid content will be moved.  If there are loads and loads of blank pages in the underlying old database then that will not be carried over.

Exchange 2010 has online mailbox move, which makes this really easy! 

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2010/07/19/3410438.aspx

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Microsoft Premier Field Engineer, Exchange

Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/rmilne  Twitter:    LinkedIn:    Facebook:

Note: My posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

• Proposed as answer by ManU PhiliP Thursday, January 3, 2013 4:43 PM
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 4:42 PM
  • Just an addition to the above, if the size is 800GB because it's fragmented then fine (but it seems not). If not, then I would reconsider creating multiple manageable size DB's so you can perform such tasks and maye even help you with shorter backups/recovery if needed.

Something like 200-300GB.

Sukh

Thursday, January 3, 2013 4:47 PM
  • Hi

The thing that an offline defrag "compacts" is white space in the database so by moving all the mailboxes to another database and deleting the original you will get rid of this excess space.  It is worth checking the application log for event 1221 to see how much white space exists currently before taking any action.

Cheers, Steve

Thursday, January 3, 2013 5:13 PM