none
How to control which servers are being hit when a request is made in share point 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• hello everyone

actually i am having a 3  tier architecture(application server,DB server,WFE)

i have created a web application in share point 2010 central administration,and associated a Project server service application with it,Now the site is showing on IIS of both the server (app,WFE),i want to determine when a request is made to which server it is hit APP server or WFEserver,??what is the back endprocess behind it,what does the wfe server actually does

and what will happen if there are multiple wfe server,to which wfe server Request will go,and how to control this,suppose if the request is hit on WF1,i want that it should hit on WFE 2,is there any trick for this

Thanks

Anuj

Friday, March 1, 2013 11:34 AM

Answers

• Hi there,

Usually with this topology you would stop the "Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Web Application" service on the Application tier and ensure that the web application URL points to the Web Server. On the Web Server you would only start the "Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Web Application" service. This way all web traffic will be handled by the web server then all internal service app requests will be handled by the Application tier. When you have multiple WFEs you would use a network load balancer to load balance the web requests between the WFEs. The DNS alias for the web application URL would point to the load balancer, this would then forward the requests on to the WFE

Hope that helps

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS

Friday, March 1, 2013 12:00 PM