antivirus RRS feed

• Question

• HI .... is there an a free anitivirus from Microsoft for XP Pro? I have come across AVG (not a Microsoft product but free) but it is extreemly resource intensive!!!

Thanks...

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 12:31 AM

All replies

• Yes, here is the link, http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/mse.aspx   Unlike AVG and Avast Upgrades are free. It is very user friendly and simple. Amoung the top 10 it is rated 5. I rate it 7. I had both AVG and Avast. They both had problems from time to time. I have MSE since the beginning and had a couple of minor problems which were quickly corrected. One thing to note, upon installation it will enable the Automatic Update feature for your Windows Updates. If that is your preferred setting ok. If not you will have to change the setting back to your preferred.
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 1:42 AM
  • Thanks FYIP .. but the link doesn't work .... when trying to run or save the program, it say not fund ... is there an updated link ...
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 10:11 PM
  • The link works fine for me...  

MSE is a good product, I've used it on several machines, both XP and Win 7 - just install it and forget about it.  

Personally though, I prefer the free version of AVAST! - http://www.avast.com/index (mainly because it has an option to announce and display in Pirate-speak, ARR!)  fyip is wrong on one count though - AVAST! updates and upgrades are free, you just have to remember to re-register once-a-year when your free subscription expires.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 11:23 PM
  • if the link doesn't work for you try: 1.on bing search for "download Microsoft security essentials" OR 2. go to microsoft.com. navigate to the downloads section search for Microsoft security essentials
    Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 11:29 PM
  • Maybe I am misunderstanding but you said the link will not work. The link worked if you got to the run or save part. Might be your computer if it will not run or save. Try again, use Internet Explorer if you are not and save to Desktop.

Friday, February 11, 2011 12:17 AM
  • Hi Bob, I never said Avast updates were not free. I said Upgrades were not free. Yes when Avast upgrades their program it is free (the free version only). I should have been more specific. MSE is a full program and upgrades are free, nothing to buy. Avast free is not a full program and upgrading to the full program cost $$$.

I had Avast also and like you I liked it. I removed it because Avast interacts with the Desktop and for security reasons Vista does not allow interaction with the Desktop as XP did. Microsoft says to uncheck the box that allows programs to interact with the desktop. Since Avast is a virus program when you uncheck this box access is denied by Avast. I worked on the Avast Forum and informed them and posted proof of this and they did not do anything. So that is why I use MSE.

Friday, February 11, 2011 12:41 AM
  • Here is another link: http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/default.aspx 

signed: fyip.....for your information please!

Friday, February 11, 2011 6:45 AM