none
A fatal error occurred during a Windows Server Backup snap-in (Wbadmin.msc) operation

Question

• Dear Colleagues,

I am using Windows Server 2016 and often facing below backup issue.

A fatal error occurred during a Windows Server Backup snap-in (Wbadmin.msc) operation. Error details: The server threw an exception. Close Wbadmin.msc and then restart it.

This error has become like a repeated case and every month this is happening whenever any Windows update is applied or backup disk is temporary disconnected and the only way to get out of it is to delete the catalogue but then recreating the catalogue will demand clearing of all past backups which is now not possible.  I also tried activating NLB as per one of the forum post suggestion still no luck.

Request valuable inputs and help.

Thanks & regards,
    Nikhil

Monday, May 21, 2018 8:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

There's been a few cases like this and most of their solutions have been to delete the catalogue as you've done.

To my knowledge there's no proper "fix" for this.

Workaround 1 (short)

1. Open a Command Prompt (Admin) run: wbadmin delete catalog

Workaround 2 (long)

1. Remove/backup the log files: C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsServerBackup
    2. Uninstall the feature: Windows Backup Server
    3. Restart the Server
    4. Restart again for good measure
    5. Install the feature: Windows Backup Server
    6. Open a Command Prompt (Admin) run: wbadmin delete catalog
    7. Start the Backup Service
    8. Recreate the backup Job and Services (as needed)

Reference to other forum post:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/6f6c7b05-892f-4cf1-bfbe-f5e4ae748414/wbadminmsc-on-windows-server-2012-fails-to-start-in-mmc-with-error-wbengineexe-0xc000005?forum=windowsbackup

Kind regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com  LinkedIn:   

Monday, May 21, 2018 8:23 AM
  • Thanks for taking time Leon. The issue with catalogue deletion is it will clear all the past backups. Is there any way we can restore the backup catalogue and thus make service - wbadmin.msc work again.
    Monday, May 21, 2018 11:04 AM
  • Hi Nikhil,

Based on my knowledge, in general error "The server threw an exception" usually means that Execution failure occurs whenever a member cannot do what it was designed to do.

In your scenario, it shows this error from time to time. In fact "Close Wbadmin.msc and then restart it" means just restart the related service, if the related backup catalog has been corrupted, restart service couldn't resolve the problem permanently.  So you could try to clear the old backup catalog, reinstall and restart again.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 1:53 AM
  • Hi Mary,

I executed command - wbadmin delete catalog and now able to see back-up service work again however backup schedule earlier configured is not coming now. When I select Back Schedule and try to configure it again, system is prompting to format the disk which will delete all the earlier backups taken!

Is it possible to somehow get hold of existing backups and then try to setup new back-up activity.

Thanks & regards,

Nikhil

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 7:11 PM
  • Since you deleted the backup catalog you will not be able to access the backups created of that computer using the Windows Server Backup snap-in.

In your case, if you can access another backup location, use wbadmin restore catalog to restore the backup catalog from that location. You should create a new backup once your backup catalog is deleted.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com  LinkedIn:   

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 7:35 PM